But this week I needed some zucchini bread. So I broke out the sadly neglected measuring cups and spoons, sifted through the ingredients in the cabinet, and found that much like riding a bike, I haven't forgotten how to cook.
This recipe is my Mom's. We had a garden when I was growing up. I hated that thing. It was my job to help weed (ick) and shuck corn (double ick) and snap green beans (triple ick)...and I have determined that unless it becomes financially necessary or God gives me a complete change of heart, I will never garden.
But because of our garden, we did occasionally get fun treats - like zucchini bread! So when I moved out on my own and found myself the recipient of some zucchini, I asked Mom for her recipe. I love the way this makes my house smell as it bakes, I love the way it tastes warm out of the oven with butter melted on it, and I love the way it makes me not scramble around for breakfast ideas! Or snacks! Or dessert! A three way food!
The Recipe
1 cup oil
3 eggs
2 cups sugar
3 teaspoons vanilla
3 cups flour
3 teaspoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
2 cups grated zucchini (liquid too)
Mix together oil, eggs, sugar, vanilla. Add the rest of the ingredients and pour into 2 greased bread pans. Bake at 350 for one hour.
Please note that the zucchini - to the far right - could audition for a villain on Veggie Tales. The friend of my Mom's who gives me zucchini these days grows MONSTER size zucchini! I call them zucchini on steroids, but please rest assured they are not actually on steroids.
You thought I was kidding, didn't you! This is my least favorite part of the process. I start by cutting the zucchini into chunks and removing the pumpkin-sized seeds and surrounding guts.
Then they look much prettier. I cut them down a little more if the pieces are very big.
Then I put them in the blender with just a little bit of water in the bottom. This becomes the most frustrating part. It probably would go better if I had a food processor, but I don't. And while my blender is pretty good, it's not quite good enough to make me love this.
I spend the better part of a long time doing this step. Grate, stop, stir, grate, stop, stir, grate stop, stir, vow to never do this again.
At long last it starts to look like this, which is nasty looking, but remember - work in progress.
I just keep a bowl there and add to it until the monstrosity of a zucchini is done.
I could make 400 loaves (okay, slight exaggeration) on what comes out of one zucchini, so I do this which later, I'm so happy about! I measure out single cup-size servings of zucchini, put them in plastic bags, and freeze them. Then, say, come January, when I want fresh, warm zucchini bread, I don't have to stress about whether or not I can find a zucchini in this town. I just thaw a couple of bags of it...and I'm all set!
Whether on the spot, or later, when it's time to make the actual bread, I start by putting the oil, eggs, sugar, and vanilla in the bowl. Yes, I do realize the sugar has taken on a questionable and somewhat amusing shape. This did not occur to me when I took the picture. But I always try to put the cups (HA!) in separate areas so I remember how many I've put in. I learned this the hard way when I mis-measured some flour in chocolate chip cookies once.
No comments:
Post a Comment