Wednesday, June 09, 2010

Playgrounds and Creepy McCreeperson

Confession: I am not a big fan of playgrounds. I have to pull the "it all goes back to my childhood" card. Growing up, per my father's wishes, I wore skirts every day. And those of us who wore skirts to school were banned from most playground equipment. (Yes, even in first grade, boys thought it was fun to lay under the equipment and look up skirts. As a result - we just couldn't play on it.) So I was never one of those kids who thought the greatest thing in life was sliding and crossing the ever daunting monkey bars.


Though I don't have kids, I fear my lack of playground enthusiasm makes me a very poor aunt. Faith, on the other hand, loves playgrounds, and there just so happened to be a little "park" as the kids called it at the end of the road where our condo was, so we made a couple of trips down there for fun.

Of course there are the swings. Swings are the one piece of playground equipment I love. I did actually sit on one for a while! (No picture to prove it, but it did happen.)


Hannah had fun with this little thing. I would have broken my neck on it, but she had fun.
Kaylah LOVED the bouncy bridge. And if you'll look to the right of the picture (under the slide) you'll see the best shot I got of Creepy McCreeperson. I wanted to just take a picture, but I was afraid he'd think I was interested in some way and I did not want to make that mistake. Creepy was a rather interesting (aka frightening) individual who lurked at the playground with his fanny pack firmly fastened and his camera in hand. He gave us both the creeps. Glad we never saw him again.


I did NOT participate in the tire swing. I have zero coordination and could only envision a "totally Bekah" moment taking place had I tried. Faith and Hannah both love flying high, spinning around, and all things fun. Kaylah, as you can see - not so much. I so feel her pain. That's why I was behind the camera and not on the swing.


Hey, I wasn't a total party pooper! I did help with the "push me high!" requests.



Hannah worked hard on her monkey bar skills and did pretty well. I have a feeling that even if I couldn't have copped the skirt excuse as a kid, I would not have had what it took to master the monkey bars. Unfortunate but true.

Loved this picture. Hopefully in a different way from how Creepy McCreeperson loved the ones he was taking. Ick.


What is it with children's insatiable desires to climb UP the slide?



Though I'm not a huge playground fan, it was fun to watch them having fun, and it was really nice that they had the whole place to themselves both times we went down to play. Kind of made it feel like the whole place belonged just to us!

No comments: