Monday, June 07, 2010

View from the Passenger Seat

So I went on this road trip this weekend, and one of the most interesting parts of the trip was life in the passenger seat. Obviously, being single, I spend most of my time in the driver's seat. At least if I want to get anywhere.

I learned many things from my perch - some of which were actually spiritual, but I'm saving that for another post.

This bit of cuteness sat right behind me. (Please note that safety measures extended to all passengers in the vehicle, including those of the fluffily stuffed variety.) She's no longer a baby and I knew those precious little legs were long enough to kick right into my back - but fortunately that only happened a time or two. She did enjoy sticking her hand through the head rest to tickle my neck and a few times I found myself bonked by flying toys that sailed over top of my shoulder...





...which led me to learn that the area around my feet can hold a deceivingly large number of confiscated toys. And an umbrella. And my backpack. And my camera (always on top and at the ready for accidents, fires, amusing signs, and the like). And my water bottle. And a trash bag from the drive thru. And a couple bags of groceries. Yeah it turned into a "Buried Bekah" fest.
This other bit of cuteness sat behind her mother....and as you can see, she's learning early the art of the headphones in the little Leap Frog (or whatever it's called) computer. Such a blessing for the front seat occupants. One can only hear "Press the green circle...goodbye!...hello!...Press the green circ...good...he...press the gree...goodbye!" so many times before losing one's sanity. (Which leads one to start calling oneself "one.")

I learned that the phrase "I WILL NEVER FALL ASLEEP! NEVER!" is often followed by:

Faith and I both learned that little packets of foam beads multiply like rabbits - sticking to baby thighs, hiding in pretzel bags, flying in confetti-esque showers throughout the backseat, and also make a tasty (yet forbidden) snack. It was through this that I learned the phrase "Don't see me, Aunt Bekah!" meant "I have a foam bead in my mouth and I don't want you to know it and make me take it out so I will call it to your attention because I don't know that you really don't have eyes in the back of your head." Obviously her sentence was much shorter.



Never too early to start a fashion trend! In addition to this new way of sporting sunglasses, I witnessed rapid wardrobe changes of bears (usually accompanied by "Don't see me make-ed!" until the transformation of clothing was complete).



And of course, who needs things like books and beads and bears when there are ROLLS OF PAPER TOWEL!!!! Oh the treasures that can be constructed from a roll of paper towel! Incidentally, it makes great confetti as well.



I also became re-introduced to songs with Bob the Tomato and Larry the Cucumber - everything from Someone's in the Kitchen with Dinah to Shall We Gather at the River? My favorite sounds, though, were two little voices (surprisingly on key, I might add) singing "God is so good...God is so good...God is so good...He's so good to me."
I learned that green crayon is as much fun to color on tan car doors as it is on the actual coloring book itself.
And I learned the key piece of traveling with small fry: the explanation of remaining travel time in manageable terms. I made a list for you in case you (somehow) don't know.
3 hours = Sunday School and Church
1 1/2 hours = The Elf Movie
1 hour = The Strawberry Shortcake Movie
45 minutes = An Episode of Dora and the Snow Princess
30 minutes = An Episode of Dora
20 minutes = A Trip to Aunt Bekah's
5 minutes = A Time Out
** Please note that 5 year olds are surprisingly aware of the actual length of Dora episodes, so you better have that one timed just about right or they'll call you on it.**

3 comments:

Christina said...

Yes...on every single account.

Sounds like a typical day in our around-town travels.

Bonus points if you can change a diaper in the car and still remain clean!

Bekah said...

I did not have to do diaper duty this trip. WOO HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

I don't know that I've ever changed one in a car, actually. But I am pretty good about remaining clean wherever!!

Diapers, though, remind me of a funny story you might like. The morning we left to come home, Faith was changing Kaylah in the restroom at a gas station. She had to go get a new diaper out of the car, so I stayed with Kaylah. She's just all kicked back there on the changing table and she points at the vending machine on the wall - the one for protection products not hygiene products. She starts saying over and over "Ice cream! Ice cream!" So I'm inspecting the wall to see what she sees and sure enough - they had ice cream flavored ones. Oh brother. That's all she needs - to run around talkin about the ice cream in the bathroom at the gas station. LOL!!!!!!

Christina said...

That's a great story!

You just never, ever know what a kid might say...especially when that kid is one like Miss Emily, who never, ever stops talking.

Taking her in any bathroom is quite an experience.