You know my undying love for all things Gaither. :)
So it really shouldn't shock you that many of their songs have been soothing to me on this journey. This week I was in the car and had the "Give it Away" CD blaring at full blast. I can't remember now what song I'd wanted to hear that made me put it in the player, but I happened upon the song Through. (That's the whole name of the song.)
I will confess to you: I've never liked Through. Always skipped past it. But this week I decided to listen to it.
Check out these words:
When I saw what lay before me,
"Lord," I cried, "what will you do?"
I thought He would just remove it,
but He gently led me through.
Without fire, there's no refining,
Without pain, no relief.
Without flood there's no rescue;
Without testing, no belief.
Through the fire, through the flood,
through the water, through the blood,
Through the dry and barren places,
through life's dense and madd'ning mazes;
Through the pain and through the glory,
I will always tell the story
of a God whose pow'r and mercy
will not fail to take us through.
Goose bumps, right?? But when emailing my friend Julie about it later...she emailed me the lyrics, and it turns out there's a second verse that's not on the CD:
I know He could part the waters,
At His voice, a mountain move;
But His love would crowd me to Him-
Through my need His presence prove.
Come, my child, I'll take you through it;
When you faint, I'll carry you.
Cast on Me your fear and weakness -
Trust My heart; I'll take you through.
I probably don't need to explain to you how I cried over that verse. How many times did I ask nicely...beg pitifully...demand disrespectfully...for God to FIX THIS in my life? But that line about His love crowding me to Him is about the best picture of my recent life I can think to paint.
He's taken me through. I'm just waiting for His signal to exit into the Promised Land. All the way through to the Promised Land.
4 hours ago
2 comments:
"Through the fire, through the flood,
through the water, through the blood,"
That part of the song gave me shivers...through the blood, through the blood...I need to remember that!
Thank you for sharing this! And your Walmart post a few posts back cracked me up=)!
Isn't that a great song? In a gulp sort of way? Man. So glad it was on the cd!!
And ah yes...the Wal Mart - always good for a laugh!! :)
Post a Comment