Last week I posted about the project I'm working on...to remind me to listen to the Voice of Truth instead of the lies that tell me I'm not enough.
Still working on it, but meanwhile, I have a story for you.
Sunday was a rough day at church. I'm not sure if I've ever before confessed this on the blog or not, but for me church is one of the places I hate being single. I don't mind going a lot of places on my own, but every Sunday in church is...hard. It's lonely. And it's always been that way.
So each Sunday, I tuck myself into the corner of the trusty back pew and blend into the wooden seat as best I can. And some Sundays are easier than others. Last Sunday = not easy.
I felt completely invisible. People swirled all around me, greeting one another and I sat there sort of pinching my arm, wondering...am I even here? Hello? Anyone see the big green dress in the back row?
Right before church started, one person stopped to talk and I grasped onto our conversation...but church began and we had to fall silent.
Trying not to be dramatic or too-much-Bekah, I willed away the tears that tried to come during worship, trying to focus on the voices singing from the front. I am not even sure my heart even officially prayed...but my mind wondered if God could somehow hug me. Just to let me know He saw.
Halfway through the second song, the man who sits across the aisle from me got up and left his pew. I assumed he needed to leave the room, but then I realized he'd stopped walking...
...right next to me.
He leaned over and whispered in my ear, "Don't ask me why but a Voice just told me you needed a hug." And with that, he reached out and hugged me. He went back to his pew and I gave up fighting the tears.
He and I rarely exchange more than a waved hello most Sundays. For him to hug me was unusual.
But it was unmistakably God.
The Voice of Truth who sees and loves His little girl.
4 hours ago
10 comments:
Beautiful. Isn't that just like our God.
Wow
Amen!
Woops - that MM Team was really me! I didn't know I was signed in as work!
And Allison - Good to hear from you again! How are you?
Cool. Hey Chewie? Maybe you should try sitting in the next to the back row instead of the back row - and - reach out to others around you. Don't deny them the blessing of your smile and warmth! Besides, "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you" is as much a tithe and offering as money is! (hmmm, perhaps I should write something on that...lol) Love ya!
Well the next to the back row is my usual row but my normal seat was gone, so I went to the back row instead. :) If it hadn't been a hard day to start with, I might have had more guts to take the initiative! :)
Nice. :-). See that's your reminder that he hears every one of our troubles no matter what they are. I'm totally opposite of you in this matter I prefer to sit alone in church. But I like the suggestion someone else had. Completely out of the comfort zone (mine too). But instead of just picking the next to last row pick someone different each week to sit with. Or once a month.....just a thought.
There are times I prefer to be LEFT alone - but rarely do I want to SIT alone. Even so - you guys are right. I need to be braver!
You mean someone was sitting in YOUR pew! GASP! (smile) HUGS
Bekah I love this story and I truly believe you were exactly where you needed to be for God to show you He hears you and knows your need and also for Him to use someone else to give you His hug! What a blessing for the person who heard from God and was obedient to allowed himself to be God's hug! It was exactly what you needed!
Post a Comment