I have a confession to make.
I just got a new day planner and I am way more excited about it than any person should be. Yes. I still use a paper day planner. (So does Lynne!) I appreciate a good piece of technology as much as the next person but there is something so refreshing to me about blank pages filled with promise and wonder…and the opportunity to fill them with color-coded systems. (I know. I’m a nerd.)
The last couple of years, I’ve pretty much
flown along without a day planner (which is very much unlike me). But my fear of
forgetting to be somewhere work-related has pushed me back into using the thing,
and I am excited about a once-again-semi-structured life.
But here’s something new for me in this (did I
mention very cute?) planner I have: it has a section for monthly goals. Not just
a calendar where I can scribble down all the appointments and commitments. Not
just a daily page where I can make a list of oil changes, grocery shopping, and
all those other things I have to get done. Monthly goals. A place where I
can make note of things I intend to accomplish.
It drives me to be intentional.
There’s something to be said for intentional
living. I’m not talking about intentionally scheduling when you’ll take out the
trash or clean the laundry room. I’m talking about intentional living in your
relationships.
What if I purposed to hide a card in a
friend’s house while I visited…to be discovered later…whenever…at some divinely
appointed time? What if I purposed to bake a batch of cookies and take them to
someone who needs to know she’s not forgotten? What if I purposed to remember
the anniversary of heartbreak for a friend and take her out for dinner that day
so she’s not alone? What if I purposed to put aside a day I’d planned to go and
stand in support of someone pursuing a dream?
I made a page for it in my planner. I’m the
sort of girl who is more likely to follow through if I write it down. If I plan
ahead. If I’m intentional.
It won’t be a daily thing…but what if I did it
once a week?
I’m excited to see how God moves…probably more
in my heart than in the hearts of those I reach out to. After all, He’s been
pretty intentional in my life, and I know I’m
grateful!
3 comments:
Bekah,
I do believe that you can accomplish a lot of things by being "intentional". If you make goals and then depending on how complex they are then plan steps to complete those goals and plan them in your planner it is amazing how much you can accomplish. And if it is only one a week then you have got 25 in 6 months! 25 you would most likely not have if you did not plan.
Best wishes with your intentional list.
There's been (recently) a fine line for me between making intentional plans and not being so driven by them that I can't be spontaneously obedient to what God is calling me to do! I'm a planner at heart though so I'm going to give it a shot!
I think it helps that you do not plan all of your time. It also helps to accomplish a lot of things if you just plan to do something on them frequently and it does not have to be alot but anything that moves your project forward.
Best wishes with that.
Post a Comment