Kelly's Korner is featuring the stories and memories of Valentine's Day this week.
Um....
...a friend once gave me a little sponge "grow a date" to put in water so I wouldn't have to be alone on the big day.
And that would about the extent of my Valentine hoopla.
Probably about five years ago, though, I was teaching the ladies' Bible study at our church, and we did a unit based on Dee Brestin and Kathy Troccoli's book Falling in Love with Jesus. I loved that unit. I would love to teach it again. The whole concept of God loving me so deeply is comforting.
That year, the week of Valentine's Day, I did a special "God loves you" Valentine study for the girls, and I gave them each a half sheet of paper stamped with red and pink hearts. I encouraged them to keep it with them all day on Valentine's Day and keep track of the ways God showed His love to them - regardless of whether or not a man paid any attention to the day.
I don't know how many of them did it, but I did, and I still have it in my Bible. Twenty-two lines long, I love looking at the things God did that day...some big, some little...all affirming His love for me through those around me.
* An email from the friend who goes to lunch with me every Monday...wishing me a happy day.
* A phone call from a friend. Random. Just saying hi. Brought a big smile.
* A notice from the dentist's office that the mistake on my bill had been cleared.
* An e-card from a friend who wanted me to know my friendship helped her feel loved.
* A hug from a two year old. (Oh how much that can solve!)
* A dinner invitation from a couple...who graciously shared their special day to open their home and serve me heart shaped muffins, cookies, and other great food.
I normally make a huge deal out of Valentine's Day, because I think Christians should. It's a day of love, and what better excuse to share love with those around? This year, given some circumstances going on around me, I simply don't have it in me to throw quite the energy into it that I normally do. I am participating...just not up to full speed.
But I think once again...I'll keep track of God's love notes to me. The reminder that I am loved!
4 hours ago
No comments:
Post a Comment