Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Chocolate Covered Lent


What are you giving up for Lent?

I never participated in Lent growing up. It wasn't something my church pushed, and my parents didn't do it...but I'm learning it's a big thing in my age group now.

For a few years, I gave up pop, suffered through the headaches, enjoyed the subsequent weight loss, and drank a 2 liter of Coke on Easter. :) One year I gave up all but 2 desserts a week. That nearly killed not only me, but all those around me as well. Sorry, people.

As time went by, though, I realized that I was giving up things to diet...not for any spiritual purpose. And I was giving things up because those around me were doing it. Oh the caving to peer pressure.

This year, a few of my friends gave up time sorts of things...TV or Facebook. And today when my friend Kari asked what I was giving up, my answer was nothing. No need to. Didn't feel convicted about it. No plans to participate.

Tonight I was in the car, just singing along like normal, when I suddenly had the urge to turn off the music and pray. So I did.

And that's when I knew it.

For me, this season of Lent will still be chocolate covered, but it will be silent in the car. The music is off. The moments when I'm not talking to someone else will be spent in prayer. Easter seems so far away...how much will God say to me in this time?

I can't wait to find out!

3 comments:

Tsofah said...

Bekah, I would find it difficult to not have music on in the car. You have chutzpah, woman!

Um, will you still be my American Idol critique buddy? This is probably the last year I'll really follow it (with Paula gone, Ellen there, and Simon leaving).

Bekah said...

Let the record show, I didn't QUITE realize what I was agreeing to give up when I said okay!! It is SO HARD to not have music! But at the same time, I know it's good that I'm spending the extra time in prayer. (Easy to say today - never left home! HA!)

With great sadness, I regret to inform you I am out of Idol this year. I had to clear the calendar to make room for submitting the book for publishing....and Idol didn't make the cut. :(

Tsofah said...

Oh NO! Say it isn't so, Bek!

Well, then, can I be an extra set of eyes to review your galley?

Or, at least, be first in line to purchase an autographed copy? :-)