In case I haven't mentioned it lately, loving the study of Do You Think I'm Beautiful? by Angela Thomas. Marie and I are studying it together. It's a six week study that we started in October. :) Okay so we're taking the slow route through it.
BUT LET THE RECORD SHOW...
We have arrived at the final week's study. I have loved this book because I've been forced to look at the good, the bad, and the uncomfortable about my life. And I'm encouraged. Always good to come away encouraged.
Tonight this part struck me in a profound way. As I made my way through the workbook, I read these words: "Think about being free from the sack of ashes that has come to you through the difficulties of life. Because you are dancing in the arms of God, you don't have to haul that thing around anymore. He wants to make a trade. He'd like to take away your ashes and see you wearing a crown of beauty."
Having just gone through an exercise in the workbook that led me to write out the contents of my ash heap, I was very aware of just how big that ash heap is for me. I'm a literal person, so to fully comprehend what Angela wanted me to consider, I imagined what it would be like to literally carry around a jar of ashes that represented all those things. I imagined trying to get ready for work while holding a jar of ashes. Seemed it could be a hair-straightening, mascara-applying nightmare. Driving with the ashes? Eating? Running? Doing tae-bo?
I wouldn't do it. If I had to carry them around, I'd do whatever it took to be rid of them so I could live freely.
So why don't I work that hard to be rid of the ash heap of my heart?
4 hours ago
No comments:
Post a Comment