Thursday, February 11, 2010

A Different Path

Today I gave a presentation-let at work. Just a tiny one. And truthfully, it wasn't my most graceful attempt at public speaking ever. Should have prepared a wee bit longer. But I really enjoyed doing it, and I appreciated the opportunity to get away from the desk for a while.

I remember writing a term paper (slight shudder) in high school...exploring my top three career hopes at that point in life. I had to interview people and do research about what would be required to attain each one.

It may not surprise you to know that Financial Aid Counselor was not on the list.

Actually I didn't even know such people existed.

My third choice was to be a secretary. I thought I would have arrived in life if I could just be a secretary. To dress up every day and sit at a desk and be a helper...would be the pinnacle. When I spent three years as a student worker in our office, I actually had the opportunity to be the secretary in the office for a whole summer when ours took time off for surgery. I loved every minute of it and truly thought after college, I'd stay in the office as the secretary. The counselor position opened, though, and I was encouraged to apply for it instead. Even though I took that route, I still love secretarial work. I don't mind taking a shift at our front desk when needed - it's fun!

My second choice was to be a nurse. There are a variety of reasons I did not pursue this career. I hate math and science. And by hate, I mean, could not successfully pass the courses. I don't do blood, brain matter, or vomit, and I'm really not great in an emergency. It really does sort of put a damper on key components of the job.

My first choice was to be a teacher. My dad was a teacher all his life. My mom worked as an aide for most of my school career. I had regular exposure to life in charge of a classroom and thought it natural to pursue it. But the older I got, the more I saw that teachers were losing control of the way they taught. I knew my personality would not work well with that sort of control.

But here's what I've learned about life in the world of financial aid: I'm a teacher. Even though today's presentation-let was not my best ever, I did hear these words after I finished talking: I learned something today. YES. Then it was a success.

I love teaching parents and students. I love being invited to speak for other offices. I even love being able to help with the training of new co-workers. I love being able to pursue that dream, even in a non-traditional way. It may not be the path I thought I'd pursue, but it's a good path anyway.

3 comments:

SkyePuppy said...

I too LOVE teaching. I can identify with the satisfaction of hearing, "I learned something."

But when I was in high school, I looked down my nose at the girls who were in the secretary prep classes, because I was WAY too intelligent to do such a lowly occupation.

Of course, now I'm a variety of secretary who does database work in addition to the usual typing of minutes and handling paperwork and making my boss's work life better. God certainly has a sense of humor...

Sarah Forgrave said...

That's wonderful when you get to explore other skills within your current job. I've gotten to do a lot of teaching through my job and always enjoy it!

Bekah said...

Skyepuppy - Yes He does, doesn't He? But I know you're good at what you do...they are lucky to have you...irony and all!

Sarah - Teaching at work....teaching your kid(s) at home....you get to teach everywehre! :) Best of all worlds!