Sunday, February 21, 2010

Bits for Sunday, February 21

I scanned through things I’ve written over the years and couldn’t find that I’d addressed this topic specifically, so I’m going ahead with it today. If I have already told you this, I guess you get a week off from reading.

Memorizing Bible verses is not the easiest thing for me. We’re supposed to be doing that as part of our Sunday School unit right now and I’m just NOT doing a great job with it. I tried…at first. I’d write the verses on index cards and put them in my day planner so I could see them throughout the day. But I quickly learned that seeing and learning are two very different things.

Here’s the thing. I know exactly what to do to fix this problem. It’s all about hearing the verses for me. I can rattle off a number of verses I learned from watching Mark Lowry comedy videos in high school. When he got to the serious part of every video, he would deliver verse after verse and I can recite them all – complete with his inflections. I even remember verses I learned from listening to a cassette (gasp!) recording of a college ministry team that traveled to our church years ago.

And of course…music! I have learned so many verses from songs. In fact, I’ve declared that if I ever have kids, that’s what they can spend their time listening to. Verse music. At least it will teach them something productive when it gets stuck in their head. (Years of a career in babysitting soured me toward traditional kids’ music and shows.)

So yes, I know the answer to my memorization problems is to get an audio Bible. But that’s not what I’m writing about.

When I exercise out and away from people (and therefore don’t have to worry about them thinking I’m crazy…) I read verses aloud from index cards. And after hearing them out loud over and over, I begin to memorize them. And in order to make sure I don’t forget what I’m learning, I do alphabet cards.

It’s a technique Mom taught me when I was very young. She had a set of verses written in marker on pieces of construction paper, and she had one verse for each letter of the alphabet. What a great way to work on alphabet memorization (I was very young, remember?) and Scripture memory at the same time!

So now I have my own set of verses…ones that I picked out to pray over Mr. Missing…and I love it when I encounter one of those verses along the way of life. I love seeing it used for another purpose while secretly knowing it’s one of “my verses.”

Recently I compiled a second list, and I’m using them in a project for a gift for a couple of people. But as I looked through the verses today, I thought they’d make a great second set of cards for me…because I could use some of these committed to memory.

So I share this with you…because if you’re like me in not being so great at memorization…this might just be something that can help you!

6 comments:

Gottjoy! said...

Bekah....
Thank you for coming by my blog...sharing your story and pointing to your post on your nephew.
First, how beautiful that your name is Rebekah Joy! We were planning on calling her Bekah, too. After reading some of your entries, I like to imagine that our Bekah would have a heart for God like you do, precious one. I especially enjoyed your prayer cards for your future husband. My 14 year old has had some beautiful young women in her life that suggested that she writes down things she is looking for in a husband and pray on these things. I know she was also encouraged to write letters to her future husband (although I am not privvy to those:smile:). As parents, Dale and I have been praying for all our children's spouses and the parents of those future spouses. That they will raise their children with Godly wisdom, a desire for purity and a heart that loves the Lord.
Second, your post to your nephew was beautiful. I have a nine year old daughter and I have often wondered what has gone through her mind after Rebekah went to heaven. We talk about Rebekah all the time, but I wonder what she really understands. Your post helped me get a glimpse into maybe what she understands and feels. And I love Natalie's song. I feel like I have been 'held' doing these past four months.
Blessings to you for reaching out to me. It blessed my day=)...

Phats said...

Index cards have always worked well for me too, but I am sure you'll get it fast!! I can't remember what i used to do to learn lines for the musicals I think just read it ALOT

Christina said...

There is definitely something helpful about learning set to music.

I can still name all the minor prophets of the Bible(and in order) all because it was part of a Christmas play song in 3rd or 5th grade. It annoys Andrew though...but he's just jealous!

Bekah said...

Karen - Thanks so much for taking time to visit...know that I'm already praying for you as you work through missing your Rebekah!

Phats - I always admired the way all of you were able to learn those lines. I would have just watched the movie a billion times. But I guess that wouldn't work for the parts where the lines got changed, huh?

Christina - now that is a song I do not know! I did, however, learn the ten commandments, and all the books of the Bible through song! :)

Phats said...

I think you should be come a census worker, I know someone you can take the class with

Bekah said...

No i'm leaving that one for YOU