Tuesday, February 23, 2010

From-Scratch Brownies

Remember the Weight Watchers brownie recipe? This ain't it. In fact, this is a great lesson in opposites. Not one thing in here that's good for you...but man is it good. :)

I found this recipe many years ago when I was still struggling to learn to cook. I love brownies (hello!) but always feel guilty when I make them from a box. I know, I know. A normal person would feel NO guilt at all. Did I ever claim to be normal? But the thing I love about this recipe is that it is seriously just as easy as a box mix...and yet there's the joy of proclaiming it's made from scratch!

I'm taking these to the next family night dinner at church, so I thought I'd inspire myself to make them by posting the recipe.

ENJOY!

The Recipe

2 cups sugar
1 3/4 cups flour
1/2 cup cocoa
1 teaspoon salt
5 eggs
1 cup vegetable oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips

Directions:
In a mixing bowl, combine everything but the chocolate chips; beat until smooth. Pour into a greased 9X13 pan. Sprinkle with chocolate chips. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool in pan on a wire rack.



As usual...I use real vanilla, not imitation. And as you can see in this picture, I happened to use milk chocolate chips this particular time. I've used both - either one will work.


I start by putting in all the dry ingredients and stirring them with a spoon.

Then I add the eggs, oil, and vanilla. Please make sure at this point to NOT pay attention to how bad this is for you!

Stir it all up...the consistency will be the same as a regular brownie mix. One kind of odd thing about it is that it kind of slides around in a big lump...also slides very easily into the baking dish. Probably from all the eggs and oil!


Sprinkle the chocolate chips on top. I've also been known to forget that they're supposed to go on top and I put them in the batter itself. No harm done!




Happiness in a 9x13. They are thick, rich, and definitely need a tall glass of milk!



2 comments:

Sarah Forgrave said...

5 eggs...oh my goodness...I didn't know brownies could contain that many! Those look yummy!

Bekah said...

I know...it's crazy! And I have a confession to make. I made these last night WHILE texting and watching the Olympics and something went wrong. I haven't quite nailed it down yet. I'm guessing the full amount of sugar didn't make it in. I'm very sad about that...but I think they still taste okay. (nervously biting nails)