Saturday, October 07, 2017

The Saturday Six

** I drew the winner for Sarah Philpott's Loved Baby book last night and Jenni was the winner. Jenni, if you haven't seen it, I've emailed you, so let me know where to ship your book! I would so encourage any of you to get the book even if you didn't win this copy, because I believe so deeply in its message! **

One.
 I do love a good food buffet. Not just the restaurant kind (although there is that...) but also the kind you serve when you have company. Taco buffet, pizza buffet...all the buffets. I love them because I have the chance to cook and be hospitable, yet I also have the chance to let my guests pick the things they love the most. Here's a post with great ideas for a soup buffet. Yummmm!!!!

Two.

If you love shopping at thrift store (or think you might love it if you could figure out a good system) check out this fun post! 

Three.


Anyone else getting ready to do fall family photos? I found this Pinterest board with many ideas for outfit coordination. Adults, kids, everyone! If you're stumped or in need of fresh ideas, check it out! 

Four.


Feeling a bit overwhelmed by all the bad news lately? This post has some comforting reminders. God is here and hasn't abandoned us! 

Five.


 Ryan and I watched the movie Do You Believe? this week. It's not new; it actually released in 2015, but we had never seen it. It has a cast of well-known actors in it, but it's a faith-based movie. I don't know why I always feel like faith-based movies are going to be cheesy, but this one did not fall into that category. It was well done and very convicting. It tells the story of a group of people whose lives intersect "by chance," and those meetings end up challenging their beliefs. We found it convicting and a good use of our two hours!

Six.



I'm excited about the book I get to tell you about today! I actually read it in April, if you can believe that, and I've been waiting for it to officially release to the public so I can tell YOU!

The author, Whitney Bailey, is a real-life friend of mine. We were students at Indiana Wesleyan at the same time, and I will confess to you that though she's right behind me in age, she's far ahead of me in talent. (She always has been.) But what I loved about Whitney then and still love about her today is that she doesn't let her talent keep her from cheering on a fellow writer. I've appreciated her encouragement here on the blog and through social media even in the years since we studied together.

So...when I found out she had a book contract and she asked if I'd be an extra set of eyes on the book a few months back, I eagerly said yes. Confession #2: I got so caught up in the story, I almost forgot to be in editing mode.

A Mistaken Match is a delightful story of Ann Cromwell, a beautiful mail order bride who travels from London to Ohio to be matched with bachelor James McAnn. Not until she's nearly at her destination does she realize her forthcoming marriage will transform her into Ann McAnn, and it seems that's just the beginning of the troubles.

When she arrives, she discovers she's not what James expected to find, and his reasons are flabbergasting. It seems he specifically requested a plain wife. Ugly, even. Being pushed away for being too beautiful was something Ann never anticipated. But in James McAnn's mind, beautiful means delicate, and his life on a Midwest farm leaves little room for that. He needs a helpmate in every way, including work on the farm.

Though beautiful, Ann is no stranger to hard work, and she's not afraid to prove it. Because she knows one thing for sure: even if James cannot bring himself to keep her, she cannot return to England. She has no idea what she would do, but she knows she can't do that.

Though their initial meeting certainly doesn't bring love at first sight, the two are thrown into a life together and begin to wrestle with how to handle this messy and unfortunate situation. Secrets of their pasts and a fear of vulnerability make it difficult to find a good solution, but they plod along just the same.

I will stop there so I don't give away the entire story, and I'll encourage you to pick up a copy for yourself!

This story is warm, comfortable, compelling, and I'm already eager for a sequel. Whitney's characters are well-developed, the plot is gripping without being convoluted, and it's certainly not "just another" mail-order bride story.

I'm so proud of Whitney and this debut novel. If you're looking for a warm, fall read, choose this! (Makes a great gift, too, if you're Christmas shopping!) 

3 comments:

Tamar SB said...

I love doing buffets when I host too - so much easier to let people go get what they want!

Maria Rineer said...

I want to read the book you reviewed and I will check out the post on buffets. Just like you feel based movies are going to be cheesy, that's how I feel about most faith based romance (not sure if that's the correct genre title or not) books. The ones I've read have been ok, but not compelling enough for me to seek out more of them. The one you reviewed sounds better than average :).

Bekah said...

Tamar - YES! I agree!

Maria - Interesting thing about this book. It's technically a Harlequin romance, and of course, when I heard that, I had the same stereotype in my head that you probably just got in yours! But they have a line that is more faith inspired, and there IS a faith component to this one. But I thought she did a great job of writing quality work. I hope you enjoy it if you get a chance to read it!