Tuesday, October 17, 2017

Hanging Out with the Extension Homemakers

It's podcast Tuesday! Many stories for you today, courtesy of our weekend!

This feels like SUCH old news now, but I haven't been able to tell you about it, thanks to the never ending vacation recap (sorry, not sorry) so I'm just now popping in with this!

The  night after our engagementversary dinner, I was scheduled to speak at an achievement banquet for the Grant County Extension Homemakers. I didn't really know too much about this group before I agreed to speak at their dinner, but I learned that they're just a delightful group of ladies who desire to see homes fostered like they used to be. They emphasize family and the elements of the home that seem to be missing from so many these days.

I let them know that Ryan is my road manager and would be with me, and they said that was fine, but they warned me he would probably be the only man there. Truth! LOL! Good thing that doesn't bother him!

The banquet took place at this cute little church out in the middle of nowhere!
Can I just pause to say how grateful I am for the invention of the GPS? I can't imagine where I would end up if I had to find some of these places on my own using maps like the good old days. (If only I had a sense of direction!)
I was invited to speak to this group because I knew one of the ladies in the group. She wasn't in charge, but she recommended me, and I was grateful for the chance to join them! But she was the only person I knew in the whole room! So I was also glad to have Ryan there just to have a familiar face!
The food, which was catered, was amazing. That marked two nights in a row we'd enjoyed our dinners without cooking them ourselves! A treat!
(Ryan was excited that they had noodles, too! I am not a noodles girl, so I didn't take any.)

These ladies were just so much fun. I enjoyed sharing stories with them, laughing together with them, and hopefully I encouraged them too!

So here's a fun story! Three ladies sat down with us at our table, and of course we didn't know them. We really enjoyed getting to know them, though, and hearing their stories. The lady that sat right across to me happened to mention that the day before marked sixty-six years since she'd gotten engaged.

First of all - CONGRATULATIONS on that! That's an amazing milestone!

Secondly - that meant we shared an engagementversary! I rarely meet people who can produce their engagement date unless it happened on a significant date. So I thought it was so cool that she knew it and still celebrated it. Apparently she and her husband (who have been married 65 years now) are still the cutest, most loving couple in the world, and that give me such hope.

After the banquet, I asked her if I could get my picture taken with her, since we were engagementversary twins, 61 years apart. She said yes! So we showed off our rings. :)
If you heard the podcast from a week or two ago, you might also remember that this was the night ALL the ladies fell in love with Ryan. He refilled drinks, cleared their plates, took out the trash, did some heavy lifting, and was his general charming and helpful self. By the end of the night, ALL the ladies wanted him to join their clubs. No one asked me to join. LOL!!! He still loves that.

It was a fun night. I'm glad I was able to be part of it! :)








3 comments:

Tamar SB said...

How lovely! What a milestone for that sweet woman!

Maria Rineer said...

Homemaking seems to be a lost art, or at a minimum a lost moniker. Glad to hear that groups like the one you talked at exist.

Natasha said...

We got engaged on Monday, October 8, 2007. We don't celebrate it but I do remember it. October must be a good time to get engaged :)