If you grew up in church, like I did, you probably have a host of memories of people who helped lay the foundation of who you are today. I know I do. And today I'd like you to meet one of them: June.
June and my mom have been friends forever...since long before my time. The history of friendship between our families is long and rich. But I was still a pretty young girl when June chose to pursue a friendship with me, and it impacted me more than I knew in that moment.
I sat at the end of the pew and watched as people walked forward into the choir loft, reaching for hymnals and scooting down to let more people in. Someday, I thought, I want to be old enough to be in the choir. I didn't even remember how old I was that day, but probably upper elementary school. I felt a hand on my shoulder, and I looked up to see June standing there. "Come on," she said. "You're going to sing with me."
I didn't even look around to see if that was okay with Mom or Dad or anyone else sitting nearby. I just took her hand and went. I don't even remember what we sang. I just remember sitting in the choir loft thinking that the greatest thing ever had just happened to me. Someone thought I was old enough to be part of the choir.
It was just an impromptu volunteer choir during a week of revival services, but it was the beginning of something big in my mind.
I sang in the choir on a regular basis in junior high and high school. {That was before I realized I wasn't particularly great at it.} I enjoyed it...it gave me a place to belong during that season of my life.
But for me, that night wasn't as much about the choir as it was about the faith June had in me. She treated me like an adult...or at least a more mature person than I really was.
And that was just June. She had always believed in me. She had been my Sunday School teacher in the second grade, and she had a contest for all the kids in our class. We received points for attendance, bringing our Bibles, bringing an offering, bringing friends, and memorizing verses. The prize was dinner for the winner's family at her house. I worked hard, and I won. And she fixed a great dinner for the whole family!
I've always appreciated June's giving spirit, and the faith she had in me, even when I was young and incredibly awkward. During my first years of adulthood, she worked where I did my banking, and I enjoyed seeing her every week when I went in. I'd pop into her office and catch up on life with her. And every week, she would trust me with prayer requests. That meant as much to me as her trust in me the night she took my hand and led me to the choir loft.
One of my great delights of attending the church we do is that June and her husband attend there as well. We go to the same service, and every week, when she arrives, she comes to visit us at our pew and catch up on the week.
June, thanks for your faith in me...from the time I was an awkward kid...to a brand new adult...and even now. I hope that I can plant the same seeds of faith and confidence in the lives around me as you did in me. I appreciate you!!
{I realize this photo doesn't show you her face, but it's a candid captured at our reception, when I had the joy of introducing her to Ryan!!}
7 hours ago

3 comments:
Beautiful! I OFTEN think of the older, wiser women who have gone and currently go before me. I want to be that for the next generation. Not in a prideful way, but in a way that shows the men and women coming behind us how to keep faith alive. We need to carry on the legacy we so faithfully see in these women like June. Thank you for the post and the beautiful praise of your friend!
YES, Elisa!! YES! I hope those just above us and those in our generation take seriously the role of mentoring those younger!! Love your desire for this too!!
Oh, I love this. I am so thankful for the older woman who have watched out for me as well. One of them still gives me awesome hugs on Sundays.
Post a Comment