Monday, September 17, 2012

A Day at the Apple Festival

Saturday I made my way north to the fine, fine state of Michigan to work the Apple Festival in Coldwater. I can't even remember the last time I was in Michigan!

Sheryl and I worked the festival together, and I had to be at the station in Fort Wayne at 7:15. That would be a.m. I was PETRIFIED I would oversleep, so with only 4 1/2 hours of sleep under my belt, I loaded up the coffee cup and headed north! I made it to the station on time and Sheryl drove the rest of the way. Why is it that I'm only sleepy BEHIND the wheel? As a passenger...wide awake!

Well, hello, Michigan!!
 We set up our tent (with the help of three kind passers-by) in front of a Salvation Army thrift store. The other side of the street was in the sun all day long. We were in the shade all day long. It was only 70 degrees at the highest point of the day, so we were ummmmmm kinda chilly! But that's okay!
 Hello Sheryl!!!!
 The first of four coffees for me that day. I consumed them both to keep warm (my toes were FROZEN!) and to stay awake. Not because the festival was boring, because it definitely wasn't...but because I knew I had to drive home after and I was afraid that would make me sleepy!
 You can't go to a festival and not eat festival food - at least a little!! So here was my treat. A waffle cone filled with warm apple pie filling and graham crackers, topped with whipped cream, a delightful crunchy something or other, and caramel. YUM.
 Our tent was set up directly across from this darling coffee shop/cafe/store. I got my lunch there - lobster bisque (how fancy pants, no?) and a ham sammich. The perk of buying lunch there? I could use their bathroom! It was a lovely warm room with real TP and a candle burning. It was such an improvement over the portapotty option that I made another purchase later just so I could use the bathroom again!
Sheryl and I had a fun day and enjoyed meeting our listener friends!

2 comments:

Sarah Forgrave said...

Whoa, that waffle cone thing looks so good! I might have to try that at home. :)

Bekah said...

You should. It is EXTREMELY good. :)