I am not smarter than a fifth grader. Did anyone else watch that new show this week? I stayed tuned after American Idol just to see how smart I really am. After three nights of questions, I have no idea how I made it this far in adulthood. Clearly I am a stupid woman.
And yet, the show truly proves the point that I tried to make time and time again during school – Why do I need to know this stuff? It won’t ever matter!! Teachers assured me that it would, in fact, matter at some point in my life. I think this week’s quiz alongside some ultra-cute, ultra-personality-laden ten year olds was the first time such knowledge was ever needed.
So I submit to you the following things that make me boldly say, “I am not smarter than a fifth grader,” along with my statements of why that is a-ok with me!
* I guessed right that Columbus Day is in October – only because my Dad’s birthday is somewhere around Columbus Day. In the real world, though, Columbus Day is not a paid work holiday, so why do I need to know when it falls?
* On a total whim, I guessed that polar bears do not feed on penguins. How was I supposed to know that they live on opposite ends of the planet? Hasn’t anyone watched Lost? Polar bears live just about anywhere they want to, whether or not it makes sense.
* If a triangle has an area of 16 square inches and a base of 8 inches, how high are the sides? Well it isn’t 8 inches, I can tell you that. Turns out, it’s 4. About all I know of triangles is that they make the shape of a yield sign on the road – now that is actual useful information – especially if there’s a car coming!
* Red + yellow = orange. I knew that. Brick red + peach - primer = pink. Learned that one the hard way. Also learned that two shades of reddish brown faux-painted over said pink makes a great shade of terra cotta.
* Did you know the sun is a star? It is, and it’s the closest star to earth. I knew that one too, but more importantly, I’d like to know where the sun is these days. I have some snow that needs to melt.
* The lady on the show did not know that Canada’s border with the U.S. is longer than Mexico’s border with the U.S. Apparently the longer border does not speak louder than the trouble-laden border. Another point scored for the squeaky wheel.
* After much thought, I correctly guessed that there are 200 decades in two millennia. Given that my own life span is closer to two decades than two hundred, this hasn’t really mattered to me yet. Two decades can, however, feel like two hundred. Or two millennia for that matter.
* I must admit that I, the writing major, incorrectly answered the question, “How many times does the letter E appear in Pledge of Allegiance?” I guessed five. Turns out allegiance is not spelled allegience. Apparently it does not matter that I actually know the pledge and learned in Girls’ State how to properly position my hand over my heart while reciting the pledge. Probably doesn’t matter that I also know three verses to the Star Spangled Banner.
* The Big Dipper is not in the constellation Orion, but rather in Ursa Major. I didn’t know about Ursa Major. I know that Ursula was a big bad sea villain in The Little Mermaid. Guess that doesn’t matter.
* I did not know that there are 15 teaspoons in 5 tablespoons. I guessed 10. But hey, I can make a mean batch of chocolate chip cookies, proving I know how to actually use teaspoons and tablespoons. Isn’t that all that counts?
* Do you know what element on the periodic table is symbolized with NA? No, I sure didn’t. I passed Chemistry by the grace of God and Mr. McBride. I haven’t looked at a periodic table since. All I know is that sodium is bad for you. Doesn’t keep me from enjoying it.
* I correctly guessed that the largest species of bear is the polar bear. See? That first season of Lost is helping!
So I’m not smarter than a fifth grader. Shoot, on the third night, I wasn’t even smarter than a first grader.
Know what that proves?
All you really need to know, you learned in Kindergarten.
8 comments:
Bekah,
You really should memorize that there are three teaspoons in a tablespoon. Sometimes, the tablespoon just got used for the Drano (or got into the garbage disposal while it was running), and you need a tablespoon of sugar in your cookies. Three teaspoons will do the trick for your cookies.
Oh, the Big Dipper is Ursa Major. Same thing. Modern vs. ancient name. I believe the Aussies call it the Big Saucepan.
Orion is the guy with the belt, and if you're ever around a telescope when Orion is up, take a look at the middle star in his sword. That's where the Orion Nebula is. It's fabulously gorgeous on a dark night.
I agree with you that the rest of that stuff isn't very useful (unless you work for the government and get Columbus Day off).
I live with a first grader who THINKS she is always right. Very entertaining post. I wanted to watch that show but lost track of when it was to air.
I am hooked and so is Andrew. He could not care less about American Idol which is, according to Emily, "momma's show", but he has now declared 5th grader "daddy's show".
I found your post to be highly entertaining, by the way, and I happen to agree with you about the useless trivial facts. However, I seem to excell in remembering the useless facts. Did you know the Magna Carta was signed in 1215? Yep...never will forget that fact. Is it helpful? Apparently only on a gameshow! But I digress...
I have to admit that I have thus far not embarassed myself too badly answering the questions on this show. I have a feeling that Andrew's reluctance to answer speaks volumes about his fear of being shown up.
And I'll end by saying that I agree with Skyepuppy...it actually is quite helpful to know that 3 teaspoons are in a tablespoon. I loose my tablespoons all the time...
Thanks for the laugh!
I enjoyed this show. I was pleased at some of the questions I actually knew. I'm still laughing at the lady who thought Mexico's border was longer than Canada's! duh.
PS I miss your cat!
I consider recipe measurements to be "suggestions" that I may accept or amend. What do they know.
Thanks for the tip. I may have to check out this show.
WOW I'm behind on commenting to my comments! :)
Skyepuppy - Drano? See there would be another question I fail. :) You are so smart - I should definitely spend more time learning from you!! :)
Deb - I hear that it is going to land on Thursdays at 9, which is going to present a problem for me because Grey's is on then and I need my McDreamy fix. But then, that is why I have 3 TV's and recording devices!!
Christina - Do NOT tell Andrew how stupid I am. As if he hadn't already figured it out. After this bold display of stupidity - I plan to keep my own mouth shut alongside him. We'll let you be smart.
Cara - I think Braeya misses you too. She loves attention, and sadly, what with all my concert travels this weekend, she was sorely lacking attention.
Chris - Hi!!! I realized it has been forever since we swapped comments - good to hear from you! Hey, there's nothing wrong with viewing them as suggestions. Just remember if they suggest a cup and you opt to suggest a tablespoon....problems!
Bekah,
Oh, definitely Drano. When there are three long-haired folks in the house, it's an essential. That's how my son flooded the house--he didn't ever tell me the kids' bathtub needed Drano. He just kept taking his shower until the flooring and carpet were soaked and subsequently destroyed.
One tablespoon of Drano crystals for each of two doses takes care of hair in the drain very nicely.
Well, I believe we established on Friday that I am not smarter then a 5th grader haha! :) Although I ruled at Fact or Crap.
I am going to have tos tart watching this show
Post a Comment