Boy I'll tell you what. When you set out to learn some Scripture, God sure does set out to teach some lessons. We're on verse B, and already I'm feeling some holy discipline. From both verses. It. Does. Not. Feel. Good.
So I say this to you because if you're taking this trip with me...and you're serious about it...you can count on some real "opportunities" to learn.
I'll be honest with you...when I started working on this verse this week, my initial thought was SERIOUSLY, GOD!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?
I love people. I really do. In all the jobs I've ever worked, the thing I've loved the most across the board about them has been the chance to work with people. To love on people. To invest in people. To learn their stories and be part of their lives.
It's been one of my favorite things about ministry too...in the Bible studies I've led and the groups I've participated in...I have loved making friends and sharing life and learning with those around me.
And even in my marriage...my favorite thing about Ryan is doing life with him. Just the day-in, day-out living.
But you know what? People can be tough.
I remember the time in Financial Aid when a student threatened to call her lawyer on me. {I had no idea if that was even possible, but I'll tell you what...those words can make a person's blood run cold.}
I remember the student that told me I wasn't a Christian because I wouldn't give her what she wanted. {I was prepared to take just about any kind of verbal abuse, but having my salvation judged by anyone other than Jesus crossed the line for me.}
I remember the teenager who called the teenage me "ewww." {Some things take a long time to forget...and even longer to stop believing.}
I remember the woman who blasted Ryan's character. {Pretty sure that whole "mama bear" thing I hear parents talks about came out of every pore of my being in a "wifey bear" sort of way.}
In those moments...it's hard to remember that people say things without thinking...or caring...or realizing...or stopping to consider future ramifications. It's hard to think first and react later.
The words of this verse lay heavily upon me, especially this week. Be kind. Be tenderhearted. Forgive like Christ.
A work that can only be done in me by the power of the Holy Spirit. I think in some way, this verse must build on the one we learned last week. Remember it? Ask and it will be given to you. Seek and you will find. Knock, and it will be opened to you.
Help me be kind. Help me be tenderhearted. Help me to forgive like You, Jesus. Even when the person staring back at me has no intention of doing the same.
7 hours ago
6 comments:
I enjoyed Breya's comments as well. Very relevant. I enjoyed the video and thought it added a lot to your thoughts today.
I think it says something about our character if there is a wide divide between how we treat people we love and how we treat people that fall outside that circle. Why do we think that is ok? Should we let that be a criteria on how we choose to treat others? Certainly close friendships create privileges but we should not let ourselves use a person's standing in our life as the ultimate guide on how we treat them. We should extend kindness, grace and mercy to all and not let how they treat us and others dictate our actions. Very hard to do but I think over time it causes an impact most certainly in our lives and hopefully in theirs.
People tend to respond to how they are treated. If we treat them as a friend overtime they may respond as if they are and may end up so.
Really good points! I agree with you that we shouldn't treat anyone differently regardless of their relationship to us, but I also confess that I don't always do that. My guard goes up in a big fat hurry if people are mean to me, and I know that as much as I want to think I'm being kind back...I'm not. I'm being guarded. Hence the reason my toes are REALLY stepped on by this verse.
I have steel toed shoes on today so that helped me some! :)
I think I just need to buy full ARMOR at this point.
i just saw the video! So so good. I love Breya's. meows. :)
ya know not sure who is making you feel as if you need full armor but seriously? who could not be kind to you. well i might have to stick my boot in their hiney and give them a... woops. I mean, i would be kind to them with the Lords help. ;)
XOXO
This is definitely something I struggle with. It's so hard to put aside the human emotions and love as God loves. But on those occasions I've been able to do it, it is well worth it. Hard, but worth it. My prayer for both of us is that the times we are able to love as God loves become more and more the norm.
Thank you for being so honest in these posts, it is such a gift to me.
Post a Comment