Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Pentatonix!

One of Ryan's favorite shows is The Sing-Off, and his favorite group - ever - from the show is Pentatonix. They won the show a couple of years ago. If you've not heard of them {and I hadn't, before Ryan} - they're an acapella group with unbelievable skills.




So when I was doing some Christmas shopping for Ryan, I learned that they were going to bring their tour to Indianapolis in February. I dug up some tickets for him and Sunday night was the big night!!! It was an interesting evening, so I thought I'd share it with you.

The concert was held at the Old National Center in Indianapolis, and we'd never been there before. We found a parking lot across the street when we arrived 2 hours before the show, and the line had already started to form at the door.
It was, just so you know, six degrees outside. And yes, that is my husband in a vest-only coat. We didn't know what time the doors opened, but when we got in line, the nice people around us told us the website said the doors opened 2 hours before the show. YAY!! That meant it would open anytime!
We made friends with the people next to us in line; they were so sweet and we actually had a lot in common with them. {Everyone else around us in line was a teenager...and all of them were swooning about these people about to sing...people I didn't even know.}

The doors didn't open...and that's when we found out from someone else in line that the website was wrong. They opened an hour before the show. Time to hunker down:
We stood and shifted our weight...and jumped...and huddled...and told stories...and tried not to think about the fact that it was six degrees outside. I mumbled that this never would happen in the concert venue I'm used to working. They'd open the doors if it was that frigid out.

Meanwhile...the lines got longer...and started curling back around to come up to meet us:
And then stretched back toward where we were parked:
By the time they finally opened the doors, we'd been standing outside for an hour and a half. I had honest-to-goodness icicles in my bangs, my hands were so cold that it hurt to bend them, and I couldn't even HOPE to feel my feet. I was getting scared that something was going to be wrong if I didn't get inside soon. I was dressed warmly, but not THAT warmly. And Ryan...I have no idea how he made it in that vest-coat.
We got inside and had to make a run for the concert hall to get our seats.

Except, um....

See this?
Turns out that "standing room only" part actually means STANDING. ROOM. ONLY.

Never in my life have I been to a concert that had no seats!
That was part of the crowd behind us. Oh. Did I mention I'm claustrophobic? True story.

Amazingly enough, I didn't freak out once during the show. Ryan stayed right beside me and I felt safe and panic-free. I was thankful. This is NOT the place you want to panic.
Never took off my coat {nowhere to put it, PLUS I was so cold from that outside fiasco} and I had to hang onto my purse between my legs. I have to say - the crowd was impressive. For being in tight quarters like that, everyone was ridiculously sweet and accommodating to everyone else. I was really, really impressed.

Here are a few pictures of the show:



 This was the only NON-acapella portion of the show...a cello solo. It was unreal. How does this much talent reside in one person?
 Incidentally - the shorty at the concert gets this view:
I watched a lot of it through the cell phone of the teenager in front of me.

I'm so glad we went, despite the numerous obstacles...it was so fun to get to treat Ryan to something he loved so much!! And while I'd recommend finding a venue with SEATS - I have to say if you want to see some talent, these guys are pretty loaded with it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I, too, discovered Pentatonix when they were on The Sing Off a few years back. The beat-box guy is a Christian, and he toured with Gungor years ago. So jealous you go to see them! Hopefully at some point they'll come close enough I can catch their live show.

Natasha said...

Uuummmm... that sounds INSANE!!! Waiting outside forever, no seats, and then not being able to see -- you are basically the best wife ever! I'm glad that the concert was worth it.