Saturday, April 25, 2015

The Saturday Six

One.

I'm changing the opening to the Saturday Six, partly because I'm tired of cleaning. HA!!!! I wanted to tell you that I've decided one thing I'm going to miss in my post-WBCL life is the immersion in the world of books, so I've decided to pick it up again in a different sort of way. As often as I can read a book, I wanted to share with you some of my finds, and I thought this post was a good place for that kind of sharing to land. So now and then {maybe weekly - who knows how much time I'll have to read??} I will include my review of a book...and I'll try to make them not-your-mama's book reviews!

This week I've got one for you....at the very end. And BONUS! I'm giving away my copy to one of you!

Two.


Oh my heart HATED hearing this news, which all you Anne fans have probably already heard and mourned over already. I adore Anne of Green Gables {the books AND the movies} and when I read that Jonathan Crombie, who adorably played Gilbert Blythe in the movies died on April 15th, I was so very sad. I may have had a crush on him - in my pre-Ryan days, of course.  PS - if you've never read the books or watched the movies, you're missing out. Brilliant works, both of them.

Three.

Ryan and I just started listening to this guy not long ago: Jon Guerra. I cannot get this song out of my head - in the best possible way. Hope you like it!!


Four.
Given that we just redecorated our master bedroom to have a beach feel, this girl is READY to go to the beach. Aren't you? {HELLO! We had snow here this week. In April. No thank you. Sand and sun please.} So I loved this tour of a beachy house from Between Naps on the Porch.

Five.

This week I bought my first pair of yoga pants. HOW have I not known about these??? I mean I've known about them, but how have I not OWNED any? Ryan is concerned that I will never wear any other type of clothing again. Ever. I won't lie. It's a fair concern. I will say this: Tim Hawkins' song now makes all kinds of sense.

Six.

Last week, the lovely Leslie sent me a book she'd received in exchange for a review. It's by Susie Larson, who is right up there in my top favorite women in how she pursues the Lord and teaches other women to do the same. Lynne has interviewed her a handful of times since I've been at WBCL, and each time, I listen with my journal in hand, because I know she's going to say something worth writing down.

I read the book in one morning flat and found myself making about four pages worth of notes in my journal. Susie shares a morning blessing and an evening blessing on her Facebook page almost every day, and I can't tell you how many times her words feel like they were written just for me. She's gifted and anointed that way. {If you've ever read Sarah Young's Jesus Calling and felt like the words were meant for you that very day, that's the same sort of feeling you're likely to have from Susie's morning and evening blessings.}


So this book, Blessings for the Morning, is I believe a compilation of some of those treasures she's shared on Facebook. It's a gift book with a ribbon and gorgeous full color photos on every single page, and a Scripture added to each of Susie's thoughts.

Here are a couple of examples of her words that made it into my journal: As the winds of change start to blow in your life, may you lean in and listen for the voice of the Lord. Here's another: May you see the blessing in your battles. And one more: May He help you blow the dust off your dreams and lift them up as a possibility once again.

I know I was supposed to read them slowly, a day at a time, but the book arrived on a day my soul was hungry, and I had to drink in the entire book at one time.


So if you aren't catching Susie's blessings on Facebook, you should check them out, because they're a great supplement to each day, in my opinion. And if you want a whole dose of them at once, this book offers about 100 of them in one spot. I've decided to gift my copy to one of you so you can enjoy it!! I've never done a giveaway on this blog before, but Leslie was kind enough to share her blessing with me, and I want to pass it on to you!

If you want to enter to win the book, just leave a comment letting me know you'd like to be in the drawing, and I'll do a good old fashioned hat drawing Sunday night (4/26). If you comment anonymously, be sure to also include your name. I'll put the winner's name up Monday monring.




10 comments:

mj in indiana said...

Good Morning Sweet Bekah! I hope you can be a lazy bug and enjoy this rainy Saturday morning! Please enter me in your drawing...I am always looking for great books and I trust your judgment 100%.
Tell "dimples" Hi for me! HA!
Mary Jane

Anonymous said...

Sounds like my kind of book! I appreciate your blog, Bekah! Jean N.

Tamar SB said...

Yoga pants are the best!! I have a "no wearing them unless you're at the gym or doing errands on the weekend" rule!

Maria Rineer said...

Snow last week? We had frost on the ground a couple of mornings here in OH, but thank goodness, no snow. I will have to watch the Anne of Green Gables movie. Loved the books so much! Speaking of books, the one you are giving away sounds terrific. Please enter me in your drawing.

Christina said...

First thing: I love Tim Hawkins. I love yoga pants. How had I not heard that song before? Thanks for the laugh this rainy morning.

Next: Gilbert can't be dead. Too sad...it's like a part of my childhood is now over forever.

Finally: If you want a place to waste lots of time perusing through gorgeous beachy homes, look no further than the House of Turquoise blog. There are some absolutely amazingly gorgeous beach houses there, plus often she tells the paint colors and things like that.

Have a great Saturday, my friend!

Unknown said...

I would love to be in the drawing for the book! :)

I told my 10 year old daughter that Gilbert had died and that he was only 48 (we both LOVE Anne of Green Gables) and not kidding, her response was, "Well, 48 is old." WHAT?!?! Good grief, I hope I don't die at 48. Her response to people dying often seems calloused, but if you question her about it, her matter-of-fact explanation is "You get to go to heaven!" She's never sad and doesn't understand why people are sad when others die. It's almost jolting but so refreshing that she has no fear of death and might actually grasp how much happier people definitely are if they are indeed in the presence of our Savior!! This world is NOT our home!!!

Unknown said...

Oh! Oh! Pick me! Pick me!

Love You!
-Ryan

Anonymous said...

Hi! Trying this once again...tried yesterday 3 times...even when it said I was a human each time! If I am too late, it has been an adventure making the attempt. Happy Belated Birthday to Ryan. Blessings in your new adventure. A friend shared about the Jesus Calling book, and I plan to purchase one. A free book is always good! Thank you!
Cathy J in the country near Greentown.

Bekah said...

MJ - We enjoyed the rainy Saturday morning by sleeping in as lonnnnnnnnnnnnnng as we could!!! And Dimples saw your hi!! !:)

Jean - Thank you!!! :)

Tamar - I fear I may need to make such a rule or else Sunday mornings.....

Maria - You MUST MUST MUST watch the movies. With tissues. I'm crying just thinking about it.

Christina - Glad you loved the song. It'll get stuck in your head. And it's too bad we can't mourn Gilbert together over the movies. And I will go check out the House of Turquoise blog. Never read it!

Tia - You tell your ten year old a big fat WHAT!?!?!?!!? from me! THAT IS NOT OLD!!! Then tell her good job on grasping the joy of Heaven!

Ryan - YOU WIN....the chance to do the drawing! Love you, Baby!!

Cathy - Daggone that blogger for giving you trouble! You are not too late. And I hope you really like Jesus Calling. I know some people struggle with it because they feel like the writer was trying to add to Jesus' words, but I truly believe her motives were pure and her choice to use that first person voice were to get us to think about Him whispering to us. I've really enjoyed that book the last few years!

We'll do the drawing this evening!!

Natasha said...

I was so sad to hear about Gilbert, I mean Jonathan's death. Sadness. I LOVE both the books and the movies although I need to get myself the DVD versions of the movies since I only have them on videocassettes! Ha!

Also, I'd love the opportunity to win the devotional book, if I'm not too late. I've been reading Jesus Calling and it's so good.

Although I loved Ryan's comment and think he should be legitimately entered in the drawing :)