One.
A couple of weeks ago, I told you abut Michelle Ule's new book, Mrs. Oswald Chambers. Though I am not typically a biography-reading girl, I loved this one and learned so much about faith and marriage from this strong and trusting woman who lived well before my time. This week I had the chance to talk with Michelle about what it was like to write about Biddy Chambers. Hope you have a chance to listen and learn a nugget or two about a fascinating lady!
Two.
I read this post about the coffee rationing during the second World War, and I found it a bit hard to breathe! Very interesting, though! I knew some things were rationed during that time period, but I did not know coffee had been among them. Her last question is a good one! How would you do on one cup a day?
Three.
If you love peeking at houses, you are going to drool over this post! I met Nicole just over a year ago at a retreat where I spoke. She is a treasure, and she's since started a blog that I enjoy reading. She just had her house-aversary (hey, we even talk alike!) and she shares really beautiful pictures of the hard work they've done on their little house!
Four.
You. Guys. READ THIS!! I laughed until I cried! A couple of weeks ago, on the Saturday Six, I linked to Lisa Harper's video produced by the Today show, highlighting her story of adopting her daughter, Missy. GREAT video. If you missed it, Google it and watch it. It was so well done. But this behind-the-scenes glimpse into her one regret from that video had me in tears and giggles. READ!!!
Five.
Okay, I know I shared a link to this video in my blog yesterday, but this is my post, so I can do what I want, right? I just cannot let this Saturday Six go by without honoring the significance of this very day. It is our fifth wedding anniversary - a milestone I have waited to reach for several months now. I know to some of you, five is no big deal, because you're many "fives" past it. And I celebrate you for that!! But I prayed so many years for even a wedding day, so to be at the five year mark is a blessing I don't take for granted. So this link honors that day. Enjoy! And happy fifth anniversary, Ryan. I love you so much!! Thank you for saying yes to life with me!
Six.
This week, I read Tiffany Smiling's book Your Dream. God's Plan. I confess to you the book was nothing like I anticipated - in the best possible way. I chose it, because I feel like I live in a constant state of seeking to be smack in the middle of God's choice for me. Anytime I have the opportunity to learn from someone else who has similar passionate pursuits, I want to learn if I can. But I fully expected the book to be very how-to focused, and I steeled myself for a bit of preachiness.
I found none. And that's what I loved the most about this book. The author, Tiffany Smiling, had an unbelievable childhood and adolescence. She came through health battles that you and I could never even begin to imagine. Seizures, cancer, surgeries, a stroke...all before college. And yet God used that season of devastation to take hold of Tiffany's heart. Though she grew up in a more-than-comfortable home and family, she realized God had spared her life for more than mediocrity, and that pushed her to pursue God's plans over her own dreams.
The book chronicles Tiffany's story through her medical difficulties and into her quest to obey God, no matter what He asked. Better than a how-to, this book simply shows how-she-did and lets you draw your own conclusions on how these lessons could be applied in your own life.
Tiffany acknowledges (and even urges) that your journey will not look like hers. It's not supposed to. God called her to a very specific mission that won't match anything He asks of you or me. But in the details of her story, she teaches the importance of holding plans loosely, understanding that God's dreams are far better than our own, and comprehending that we can make a much bigger impact than we even realize.
I think if each of us adopted Tiffany's mindset and allowed ourselves to be used like she has, God could do amazing things through each of us.
This book challenged and convicted me. My own dreams look different in light of her words and my newfound understanding. Regardless of your dream, her story can encourage and motivate you! Thanks, Tiffany, for sharing your story in this book!
** Barbour sent me a copy of this book at no charge. All opinions are my own! **
4 hours ago







3 comments:
Bekah- happy, happy anniversary! What a special day. I know as Chris and I are celebrating 39 years today.
Wanted to tell you that I received the book- thank you so much. Would have written sooner, but had Turkey week vacation with our 7 wonderful grandchildren and their great parents, then I came home and was sick for a week, so.... But thanks you!!!!!!
Again, congratulations and may you two have many, many more! God Bless!
Happy anniversary!!
Love the house post!!
Happy 5 Years!!! Quite an accomplishment..,,here’s to 75 more!!
Love you, Christina
Post a Comment