Tuesday, November 21, 2017

The Date Inspired By the Letter U

Podcast Tuesday!! Stories from our week and a wish for you to have a HAPPY Thanksgiving week! :)


It's been over a month since we did an alphabetical date. WHAT!?!??! We are on the home stretch, and I'm excited about the dates we have coming up to finish out the list!

This  one was also pretty exciting, although we kept running into issues that caused us to reschedule it!
This date was unique in that it was unplanned...by us, anyway. My friend Kari thought up a series of date ideas and put each one in a different envelope. She gave them to me and we could pick whichever one we wanted to be our date night!
We planned to do this date last weekend, since Ryan had Saturday off work, but he ended up working so late on our porch (which really was more important) that we didn't have time for a date at the end of the day.

Then we planned to do it this most recent weekend, after Ryan got off work, but it was SO nasty, we just were not in the mood to go out.

So we did it last night!

We chose date #3, which was so perfect for us. It was a date centered around random acts of kindness!!

We were challenged to do 3 random acts of kindness, and though we modified a couple, we had a great time with all of them!

The first challenge was to purchase 2 boxes of Ding Dongs. We were to tape a provided tag to each box. (The tags said "You've been Ding Dong ditched.") We were supposed to leave the boxes on people's front porches, ring the doorbell and run. We were a bit nervous about doing that after dark, for fear of scaring people or getting the police called on us if they had security cameras. So we modified the challenge a bit. We took the boxes to the hospital where Mom's been, and we left them at the nurses' station. (They were all out tending patients, so they didn't see us!)

The second challenge was to leave a bag of laundry detergent and a bag of quarters taped to a washer at a laundromat, along with a provided tag that said, "This load's on us." (Two of those, actually.) Again, the people who watch too much Dateline were nervous about leaving unidentified white powdery substances in a laundromat, so we just did the quarters, but we had taping them and running!
The third challenge was to purchase a $15 gift card to a grocery store and find a person to hand the card to while in the store. We walked allll through the store, looking for the perfect person. We found a nice lady shopping alone and handed it to her. I so wish we could have gotten a picture of her shocked face. She had no idea what to make of it. She said no one had ever done that for her before, and that made it TOTALLY worth it!
So that was our fun date! It was a blast to do things for other people. GREAT idea, Kari. Very unique!

(To see all our alphabetical dates so far, look here!)






3 comments:

Tamar SB said...

Oh my gosh...I LOVE LOVE LOVE this!!

Anonymous said...

I love this idea! Thinking the grocery store gift card idea would be a super fun thing to do with my kids this Christmas season!!
Question about your Ninja post a few days (weeks?) ago.... My old cuisinart blender is about ready to bite the dust and I have been looking into different blenders. I was looking at a vitamix but the $$$ was almost giving me cold sweats- LOL. We mainly use our blender for smoothies and milkshakes. Do you think the Ninja would do the job?
Love your blog! Have been a faithful reader for years!
Kelly

Bekah said...

Tamar - It was a winner!

Kelly - well what a joy to hear from you! Thanks for reading! :) I'll tell you what. I think the Ninja would be a great fit for you. (I've never had a vitamix, so I can't compare...) My old blender was like a Sunbeam (or something similar) plain old blender. I could NOT get it to fully blend/chop ice or sometimes even hot butter. IT was a mess. I use this for EVERYTHING and have not had a single problem. We grind our coffee beans with it, I make smoothies regularly, I make oat flour in it...smooth all the way!