Friday, October 05, 2012

First Date

Well...I've been SO looking forward to telling you about our first date, and then as many of you know, yesterday I had a new little (okay, stinking HUGE) surprise. RYAN PROPOSED TO ME!!

Shut the front door.

It's true, and now I'm so excited about THAT...that it's all I want to talk about. HOWEVER. I promised you yesterday a first date and to be true to the story, you need to read this stuff in order. So I PROMISE to give you two more days of back-story and then on Monday I'll skip ahead and dish the proposal. Promise. Trust me. You'll like this part. :)

So...I'm excited to tell you about our first date! It was a few weeks ago, and we had so much fun! Let me interrupt myself right off the bat to say bless Ryan's heart..he puts up with the Bekahrazzi. And he does more than put up with the photos. He actually enjoys it. I love it. I knew he was good when he didn't care that the tripod made an appearance to take the pre-date photo. (Just kidding...I knew he was good before that, but it definitely helped.)

One little detail you should know for fun is this: In my life, I've not been purposefully asked out too many times. Most of the time any date of mine has been the result of a discussion that ended in some mutual decision to hang out. And doggone it, I wanted the joy of being ASKED OUT!

Giggle.

So he did. He called me up on the phone and asked me if I'd go on a date with him. And I had complete giddy butterflies in my stomach when I said yes. People, this is how dating should begin. I loved it. Wouldn't have it any other way.

We work in opposite towns, so our first date was on a Saturday.

So....the pre-date photo. At this point, I had no idea where we were going or what we were doing. I love surprises!
 And no. We didn't mean to match. That was an accident. A happy little accident though!!

During our drive, we did a little car karaoke. A duet of the song 500 Miles. :)
 Destination: Indianapolis!!!!
 He had packed a lunch for us (and I didn't even know it) and we had a picnic! Picnic was on my livin' list for the summer, so that was an exciting surprise!!
 And then - we went on a paddleboat ride in the Canal downtown. I'd never done that before, so it was very exciting. It was also very WINDY.
 And that would be because it was about to storm. Oh my goodness. Nothing like the girl petrified of storms getting caught IN a storm IN a canal ON a boat ON a first date. LOL!!!!!! Good thing we were already such good friends.
 I was pretty visibly nervous, so he asked if I wanted him to pray for us. I started to say no because I was thinking get a grip, Bekah! It's just a storm! But then I realized it was probably in poor taste to say "no thanks" to a prayer offer, so I agreed and he prayed the nicest prayer over us right there in the canal.

For the record, when the storm hit, we were able to take shelter under a bridge, and we got out of the boat when the lightning started striking so we were as safe as we could be. In the end, it made a great story!

Throwing coins in a pond and making wishes....
 I threw a dime, baby. I'm not wasting pennies!! DIME SIZED WISHES!!!!!
 After a great day together, we headed home, stopping at Red Robin on the way so we could have dinner. Oh how I love that place.
 And I chowed down my burger, too!!! So ladylike.
So there you have it! A Bekah's Bits first - never before have I shared a first date with you guys! I'm so excited you got to see our day! :)

10 comments:

Mark Allman said...

Well I have to say I smiled all through this post AFTER I got up off the floor after that first paragraph.

"Shut the Front door"... Shut the back door... Shut all the windows and the curtains!!!

I laughed when I read "he didn't care that the tripod made an appearance". It was like the tripod was some secret pet that sulked in that he did not know about.

My family all loves Red Robin. It is where we always eat on our annul trip to Hershey Park. The steak fries are the best!

Ryan and Bekah... Congratulations.

Unknown said...

I must say that I have been trying and trying to convince Bill that we need to paddle boat down the canal. He remains unconvinced.

Barb Koker said...

I must say for a girl who loves words and likes to talk, and indeed, TALKS for a living, u can b very quiet! I am living proof that God saves the best for last and when we let Him lead, He gives us all that we long for...and more! Sooo excited for u!

mj in indiana said...

BEKAH!!!!!!! How exciting for you!!! WHHOOOOOHOOO!!! I am tickled pink for you!! What a very lucky man to capture your beautiful heart!! I cant wait to hear the proposal story!!! Im on the edge of my seat waiting!!!

Congrats!!!
Mary jane

Christina said...

Well Miss Bekah....CONGRATULATIONS!

I have to admit, I had a feeling...and then a little birdie who shall remain anonymous spilled the beans to me before I read this. I was going to wait until the official announcement to congratulate you, but I think I'll just go ahead!

I know that the heartache behind you was terrible, but it will not compare to the joy that is now before you. Many many hugs and congrats and I wish you all the joy and happiness that you both deserve.

Can't wait to hear the rest of the story!

Sarah Forgrave said...

Congratulations, Bekah!!!

Downtown Indy is such a great first date location! (Well, er, except when it storms and you're on the canal...) :)

I can't wait to read the rest of the story! I'm just bummed I'll be out of town next week so I'll have to read about the proposal a few days late. I loved seeing the video on Facebook, though!

Bekah said...

Mark - I like that "shut the front door, shut the back door, shut all the windows and the curtains!" Yes! Shut everything! How is this my life? I love it.

Kristin - Now that surprises the hooey out of me. Why in the world does he not want to do that?

Barb - I know - who knew this motor mouth could be quiet!?!?! I'll answer more on that later in a blog post. Apparently I am now NOT lacking for material. :)

MJ - Girl, I have MISSED YOU. THanks for commenting!!!! I am so excited to TELL YOU the proprosal story!

Christina - Is that birdie's name Katy??? she was so cute in her texts to me! Thankyou so much for all of the congrats. I am so honored that all of you are as excited with me as I am!!!! It's so fun to share such lovely news.

Sarah - the great thing about a blog....it's here whenever you get back. Can't wait to see what you think of the story!

Ali said...

Congrats!!! So excited and happy for you. Praying many blessings for you both.

Bekah said...

Thanks, Ali!!! I'm excited too! EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!

Odie Boggs said...

Reading some of the archives. I love this post! It exciting because for nearly 2 full seasons I've wa you life together bloom!!! Happy Thanksgiving friend!! Thankful you share your life with us the good and bad, so we can learn together.
Odie
www.boggsblogs.com