Monday, March 12, 2012

Silence

* Little Public Service Announcement...so excited about today's Mid-Morning show, because it's our blogmania show! If you like to read The Recipe Shoebox...The Mom Creative...Kelly's Korner...The Nesting Place...or Emily A. Clark, tune in here at 10 a.m. ET to hear them talk about their blogs! *

Remember my 30 day journey I took during the month of February? The one where God asked me to try living in an attitude of surrender rather than an attitude of personal assistance?

There were many great things about that journey, and I've blogged about some of them already. But one of my favorite things about that season was how frequently God spoke. My journal, which travels with me wherever I go, overflowed with quotes that littered Facebook, my Twitter feed, blogs I read, my daily devos, sermons I heard, Mid-Morning shows...you name it. I couldn't write fast enough some days. And while there were days I shook my head with the amazement of it all, I knew it shouldn't surprise me that He was so divinely loud in those days.

Then the season ended. And a new season began...the circle praying season. I've been praying and seeking...

...and hearing absolutely nothing.

My journal entries are short. Twitter and Facebook have been overtaken by thoughts on Daylight Savings, March Madness, and the early onset of spring. Bloggers seem consumed with Pinterest, recipes, and the happenings of their families. My devos are caught up in Lenten thoughts. Mid-Morning topics and sermons have been great, but the topics are far from what my heart encounters in this moment.

Most of my journal entries say, "Are You there?" (Repeat as needed.) (It's needed a lot.)

But as I alluded to yesterday in my recap, there has been something beautiful in this silence.

Don't get me wrong. I don't ADORE the silence. I'd rather have God sit down beside me in the fat chair and talk right out loud so I'm in no way mistaken about His desires for these prayers I'm encircling.

But though my journal says "Are You there..." I have no doubt in my heart the answer is YES.

Yes. He's here.

Silence does not mean absence.

He's not speaking because no words are truly needed. I may think they're needed, but they're not. When they are...He'll speak again.

Meanwhile...He's here. Silent but so present.


2 comments:

Ali said...

"Silence does not mean absence." Love it! Thanks for the much needed reminder.

Bekah said...

I'm so glad you liked that...and that someone besides me needed the reminder!