Friday, October 29, 2010

Show Us Your Life: Guest Room

I can finally participate in Show Us Your Life again after a couple of weeks out. This week is guest room week - and that's a room that is actually (for the most part) put together in my house!

I contemplated painting this room this summer but I couldn't justify spending the time or the money when the paint on the wall is fine (and was free!) so it stayed this bright yellow. Should be cheery to wake up to!

I decided to do kind of a beach theme in this room, so I ordered a large print of this sunset picture I took this summer on Lake Webster. Very happy with the way it turned out - only wish I'd have gotten it one size bigger! (I wasn't sure how it would look enlarged so I was too conservative.)

I have a few more floating shelves that my friend Greg hasn't had a chance to hang up for me yet...hence the slight incomplete state of this room. But I do have two of them up...and here's one. Love this little pray sign. Lynnette gave it to me for my birthday.

The closet in my guest room is my stamping/scrapping supply closet, so the end table is really a wooden file cabinet that holds all my card stock. :) I like it. Got it on clearance at Wal Mart a few years ago and my roommate at the time, Angela, put it together for me. Little lamp...some coasters and candles...and of course...an obnoxious alarm.
You can also see the blue curtains. I just got those (on clearance) this summer. They're the blackout kind so if I have morning-hating guests, they're set.


I also decided to use water pictures to decorate. Extra helpful was the fact that I went to the ocean in May, spent several weekends in the summer at the lake, and visited a beach in Tennessee when I was there with Faith. Didn't have to look far for pictures!


This hangs above the scrapping closet...




This dresser was my Grandma's - I love it! Holds all the bedding for the guest room. The pottery has blue seashells I picked up at the ocean this summer.


Love my little picnic basket. One of my life dreams is to go on a real summer picnic sometime and put it to use.



My guest bed is really a futon that I got almost 10 years ago. Okay so not the most comfy but it works. I'd love to someday get a better futon/mattress. Futon works great in my house because the rooms aren't very big. I also got (during college sales) these two ottomans that are storage ottomans. Love them. I bring them out into the living room for footstools for the loveseat sometimes. And I found this rug on clearance a few weeks ago and thought it tied in well with the blue curtains.



A couple of years ago, my big honking elliptical machine bit the dust - beyond repair. So...I found this mini stepper and it slides right under the futon when not in use. PERFECT size for this house.



3 comments:

Delta R. Vines said...

Nice, cheery room! Our family has GOT to find a reason to come visit with you just to see your home and meet the kittehz and, of course, YOU! LOL We can make your home a "pit stop" on the way to somewhere...hmmm. :-)

Jennifer said...

Cute-cute room! I love the beach theme and the personal touches in the room.

Bekah said...

Delta - Yes you do need to make a pit stop here!!

Mom2One - Thanks for visiting!! If I could figure out how to get the beach itself in here...I would.