My schedule
this week has been absolutely all over the place. Up and out early for the
church conference…home at different times each day…trying to squeeze in naps to
make up for short nights…and I’ve had to step back (temporarily) from the routine
that makes up my day.
Workouts will have to resurface
at the end of the conference. So will reading blogs…reading anything,
really…long walks around the lake, cooking, chores, and probably other things I
haven’t remembered.
But aside from quality time with
Ryan and Lexi, you know what I really miss the most? Extended study time in the
Word. I didn’t realize how much of it I’ve been doing until suddenly I don’t
have time to do it. My summer study in Job has been paused for the week, as has
my Psalm 37 study. I still haven’t transcribed Sunday’s sermon notes into my Bible,
and I just feel behind.
I’m not undone by it, though once
upon a time I would have been. In full transparency, I probably would have been
undone more by the boxes not being checked than by the lack of actual study,
but it’s different now. Now I miss the study and the heart-fellowship that
comes along with it.
I’ve determined that when the
conference concludes, I’m going to do the work I need to do to catch up, but I’m
going to earmark a nice chunk of time to simply soaking in the study. I’m not
focused on “catching up” for catching up’s sake. I just want to be back in the
pages of Scripture, letting it spill into my heart and mind, soaking up all I
can.
I am learning many things this
week, which isn’t unusual when you consider I’m attending a conference. But the
bulk of what I’m learning is all of a different sort – spurred on by the
conference, but not always directly related to it.
And for this lesson, I’m
especially thankful. I’m thankful my heart loves and misses long study
sessions. And I can’t wait to return to them.

No comments:
Post a Comment