My entire
summer is laden with first-time adventurers. Last week I spoke in retirement community
chapels. This week I went to our church’s annual conference. I’ve been part of a
handful of denominations in my lifetime, and I’ve never been to any of their
annual conferences until this one. I am not really much of a conference-goer in
general, but as part of my schooling, I needed to attend this particular
conference at some point. It moves around the country each year, so what a
blessing it was that this year it happened to be (for the first time ever) in
Fort Wayne!
I decided to commute to it,
since it was close enough for that, but oh my goodness. I can see why even
local-ish people decided to get a hotel to be close. The days were long, and
when you don’t have a room to pop into between events, you have to carry
everything you own with you at all times!
I thought I’d show you some of
the happenings of the week – just in case you’ve never been to such a
conference either!
My first day to attend was
Sunday. I rode up with Jonathan and Julie after church, and we got all checked
in. My nametag said Rebekah, so I felt like I was in trouble all week long,
with people calling me by my full name when they read my tag! They had an
exhibit hall full of vendors, and I paid a couple of visits to the bookstore.
It was a glorious feeling to be among all the books.
Jonathan, Julie, and I all went
to the New Attendee Orientation so we could better understand what was ahead
for us throughout the week. You’ll also notice some coffee appearances
throughout this post. The hotel attached to the conference center had a Starbucks
in it, which meant I could get coffee without ever venturing into the
oppressive heat. Yes, please.
That evening, the three of us
went out to dinner at a burger place across the street, and I immediately
jotted that down as a place Ryan and I need to go on a date! After dinner, we
went to the opening worship session, which was filled with much music and an
encouraging message. By the time we arrived back home, it was nearly 10 p.m.
and I had to be up early to be on the road by about 7 the next morning, so I
didn’t get a whole lot of sleep!
Monday was also the first day I
had to drive myself and navigate the terrifying parking garage.
Ready for a new day!
I sat in on business breakout sessions throughout this entire day. Jonathan was a delegate to the conference, so he had assigned seating with the delegates. Julie didn’t attend on Monday, so I was completely on my own. But I made it! AND I successfully navigated exiting the parking garage as well. (I was also so very thankful that they had concession kiosks for lunch, so once again, I didn’t have to enter the oppressive heat to find a restaurant.)
Tuesday morning, I think I left
home at 5:45, because I went to a networking breakfast with Jonathan and Julie
before the conference began. Can we pause to appreciate my veggie omelet? I
didn’t eat the potatoes – except a sample of two. They were SO GOOD.
I was relieved to have friends with
me again on this day. Julie and I spent most of the day together while Jonathan
tended to his delegate duties.
Yesterday was the final day of
the conference, but I was a little late in arriving, because I had to swing by
the hospital first to pray with someone about to have surgery. I was glad to
find spaces still available in the parking garage (though I had to go much farther
in this time!) and I arrived in time to hear the bulk of the business meeting.
I was on my own again for the
majority of this day, eating concession lunch, finding coffee, and attending more
breakout and business sessions.
By the time I came home, my
brain felt mushy, but I was proud of myself for navigating such people-y adventures.
I really didn’t know very many people all week, but the tiny handful I did know
asked how I enjoyed the conference. I told them all I wasn’t sure, because I
hadn’t had time to journal about it yet – and I never know how I feel about
something until I write about it. My brain comes out my fingertips and then I
know. So maybe I’ll be able to tell you more about that later. But in the
meantime, I have now done one more new-to-me thing this summer!




No comments:
Post a Comment