Thursday, July 23, 2026

Travel Thursday: Our Big Trip West!

 


Remember earlier this year, when I reminisced about our birthday trips? I loved rolling down memory lane, reliving some of the truly exciting adventures we’ve had in our almost 14 years of marriage. I paused the memories to catch you up to this year’s story-laden trip to Charleston, so now I want to look back at some of our more recent birthday trips.

                It has been just over five years since we took our big trip west in Abby the RV. Oh, how we loved Abby. What a gift she was to us in those WillowBridge years, when we needed a place to get away from the daily responsibilities. We still dream of Abby 2.0 – someday – when I’m able to be gone on weekends again! But for now, we have no regrets about our purchase and renovation of Abby.

                This trip was one of the biggest of our whole marriage, and one of our favorite things about it was getting to take our home-on-wheels everywhere we went. I had the BEST time looking back over our scrapbook and reminiscing. Want to see some of my favorite moments?

                Our first night out took us to Mount Pleasant, Iowa, and the next morning we took it easy, enjoying Bible study and coffee right in our own home. I think we both knew in that moment we had something special on our hands.

                We don’t really do trip regrets, but if I had any, they were from this trip. We passed quickly through Nebraska without stopping to do anything fun. We passed the American Gothic house, and if I had this trip to do over, I would have stopped there.

                Nebraska did give Ryan a chance to be a good Samaritan to a couple of ladies with a flat tire. I was crying in the RV, scared to death he was going to get hit out there.

                This was the trip where we met our dear friends, the Bromptons! What a beautiful stay they gave us – letting us stay on their property, introducing us to all the farm animals, treating us to campfire meals and singing every night, giving me a Little House-esque butter churning experience, teaching us new games, making Ryan’s oxen-driving dreams come true, hosting a proper prairie wagon ride, teaching us to make rope, letting Ryan try his hand at milking a cow BY hand, and making the entire stay one to remember in all the best ways.









                We made our way into Kansas and took a tour through Little Jerusalem Badlands State Park. Who knew Kansas could look like THIS!?



                I wanted Ryan to experience the old west of Dodge City Kansas, which I’ve visited several times since I was a kiddo. We had fun recreating pictures from the days of yore!

                We visited my family and met the newest baby (who is now almost ready for school)!


                This made me do a double take. Oh the mask days!!

                We had so much fun with the fam while we were there.









                I was so excited that we had fun things planned for the way home – like getting my first stamp in my Little House passport. Our first stop was Independence, Kansas! We did more recreated pictures, since I visited there with Mom and Dad when I was little, and we made our own memories, too!





                RV travel is the best: adding souvenir stickers to the wall, updating the travel board, and seeing our home right outside our visit spots.

                Sometimes we had amazing campsites that gave us proper campfire opportunities and relaxing evenings.

                We visited another of Laura Ingalls Wilder’s homes (this time in Mansfield, Missouri) and recreated more pictures.


                Our last stop before coming home was in Casey, Illinois. We still talk about this coffee shop and drink from the mug we bought while there. And we still love thinking about the small town of big things. It’s one of the places we recommend most to people!



                This trip was truly one of our very favorites. We made so many amazing, beautiful memories and had so many unique experiences. I smiled all the way through the scrapbook! (I’m so glad for the time I took to make that!)

No comments: