Tuesday, July 28, 2026

Tuesday Tales: Swiss Days

 


Ryan and I had a fun date Saturday! This weekend was Swiss Days – the big festival in Berne every year. Two summers ago, he drove a golf cart for Swiss Village, and I walked with LifeWise. Last summer, Ryan walked with Swiss Village, and I didn’t have an assignment, so I sat on the sidewalk and watched. I decided that was the worst, so this year Ryan and I walked the parade together for Swiss Village.

                We were quite thankful that it wasn’t AS hot as it has been, but when you’re hanging out in a parking lot, waiting to begin, it’s still hot!





                At last, the parade began! The route was a little under a mile, and we handed out candy as we went.


                Toward the end, we found some of our church friends. I was so excited to see people I knew!

                We stayed to have dinner from the food trucks. We had wraps that were really more like quesadillas. We were both impressed.


                You know what my favorite part was? We made our way to this grassy area to eat our dinner. Just planned to sit on the grass, but when we walked up, a gentleman offered us seats in his folding chairs. He told us that every year, he comes to the festival on the first day, brings his chairs, and then shares them with people throughout the weekend. We sat and talked with him while we ate, and it was the best time. I decided that having a folding chair ministry is a great idea.

                You know what my least favorite part was? As I walked away from the food truck clutching my dinner, I looked up and STRAIGHT into the lens of a TV camera. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. I mean, is it really anyone’s best day when they’re waddling away from a food truck at a festival, after sweating through a parade?

                You can bet your bottom dollar that come Sunday morning, about 5:30 a.m. I was scouring that TV station website to find their coverage of the thing.

                Found it.


                Thankfully she didn’t get the food-clutching waddle. Or she chose not to share it. We were safely turned the other direction, yapping a mile a minute when she found us.

                Our one festival for the year – checked off!

No comments: