On the
afternoon of the 4th of July, I had a little extra time (what does
that even mean??) on my hands, so I scrolled through my Facebook memories. I
ran across one from a few years ago when I recounted the anniversary of God’s
goodness in my life in bringing me through that very day back in 2010. I shook
my head as I read because on this year’s July 4th, I’d not
even thought about the significance of that day.
Oh, the healing God brings.
If you’ve been reading for the
last sixteen years, you might remember that 2010 was so very hard for my heart.
I was in a relationship that I thought would be forever, but it ended, and my
ability to breathe easily, sleep, and eat ended with it. My faith was rocked
and wrecked in ways I’d never experienced, and I wasn’t sure I would ever make
it to the other side of the darkness that threatened to entirely engulf me.
Whole days were far too difficult
to survive, so I worked on getting through hours, sometimes minutes, at a time.
I had prayed so specifically,
earnestly, and faithfully for God’s healing and redemption in this relationship,
and I sensed a nudge in my spirit to pray for it to come by the 4th
of July that year. When midnight came on the 4th of July and not one
thing had changed, I wasn’t sure what to do or how to proceed. I had so many
faith questions. But I kept putting one foot in front of the other and getting through
the next minute…the next hour. (It was a far more tedious story than this
recap, as you might remember.)
Within a few months, it became
clear the relationship was fully over. He had moved on, but I had no idea how
that would ever be possible for me. I began praying for healing for my shattered
heart, and piece by piece, it began to come. I found my smile, laughter, sleep,
and joy again.
It wasn’t lost on me that exactly
one year later, on the fourth of July, I was poised to begin a brand new job at
WBCL – and with it, a whole new life. And just over two years later, God
brought Ryan into my life.
The season of the year that had
been so devastating began to bring pieces of redemption, a little at a time.
And now it’s been sixteen years
since that desert journey. Sixteen years. I haven’t forgotten the
journey, but the date no longer presses into my soul the moment I wake up on
the 4th of July. It doesn’t rule my life anymore. God has worked a
healing, and I celebrate that.
Today I write these words because
I want YOU to know that if you feel like you may never heal from a wound that
marks your life, don’t underestimate God’s healing hand. I am and will be
forever marked by that relationship and loss. I will never be the same girl I
was before it. I learned so much that made me who I am today – who I need to be
in marriage and ministry. Though it nearly destroyed me, it didn’t, and
I am stronger because of it.
So yes, it marked me. But it no
longer defines me. It no longer rules over me. God has wildly redeemed and
restored all that was broken and lost. It is part of my testimony, and today I
wanted to share that God still heals, redeems, and restores. And I’m so so thankful.

2 comments:
Thank you for sharing this. I am sure that you have given hope to someone. I felt, deeply, every word of this. On July 9, it will be 9 years since my husband told me he was leaving. We had just celebrated our 30th anniversary and had 2 grown children. There really aren't any words to describe the devastation and despair I felt. I begged God to take away the pain. It was a very long period of healing, years. But God was faithful to carry me through. I will never be that woman again. But I have slowly built a new, little life. I will be 72 next month and life is good.
Lori - Thank you for sharing your heart and story! I am so sorry for the hurt of your loss, but I'm so grateful you have seen God's faithfulness!
Post a Comment