Wednesday, July 08, 2026

Wednesday in the Word: Wait and Keep

 


On the heels of what I wrote yesterday, I feel like a peek at the beginning of Psalm 37:34 is appropriate for today: Wait for the Lord and keep his way…

                We’ve talked about waiting before as we’ve studied through this Psalm, and unfortunately I don’t believe it has magically become any easier to do. Waiting just is hard.

                Waiting carries a need for resolution. We wait for answers and can’t settle our spirits until we know the outcome. We wait for events and feel unfulfilled until they come to pass. We wait for people and everything feels incomplete until they’re present.

                And it seems we’re always waiting for something, right? How many things are you waiting for right now?

                I’m waiting for orientation for my next class program. (Or am I waiting for orientation to be over so I can be back with Ryan?) I’m waiting for writing inspiration for a looming deadline. I’m waiting for all those big, beautiful plants in my garden to bear veggies.

                And those are just the easy, low-key waiting moments of my life. There are bigger, deeper things awaiting resolution. It’s the same for you, I’m sure.

                But in each of those things, I’m directed to wait for the Lord. He’s present in each of the things. So as I wait, how can I find Him IN each of them?

                I’m also directed to keep His way. Don’t rush ahead. Don’t manipulate. Don’t coerce. (Those things don’t work, anyway.) Just keep His way.

                Wait and keep. Wait and keep. So simple, but not so easy.

                I have this verse marked in my Bible as one I hung onto while I was waiting to find out if the Lord would open a door for me in church ministry. Wait and keep His way. Wait and keep His way. It was so hard. I wanted to know the outcome. I wanted to know the plan. But it wasn’t mine to know at that time. It was only mine to wait and keep.

                So I don’t know what you’re waiting on today, but whatever it is…wait and keep. Wait and keep.

No comments: