Saturday, January 21, 2023

Saturday Suggestions


I have some (hopefully) fun finds for you this week that throw back to things I already wrote about throughout the week. Maybe you’ll find something inspirational tucked in the list!

ONE. 

Since everything is so expensive right now, keeping warm in the winter can be a challenge – especially for those of us facing an especially cold winter. This post shares some frugal ways to keep warm in the winter without turning up the heat in your house – and hopefully without spending a bunch of extra money! I will add to the list that I have my Comfy at the ready. (Those are giant warm sweatshirts that are a dream for keeping warm!)


TWO. 

My Dad has always loved hymn stories, and perhaps I have inherited from him the love of a good back-story. Earlier this week I wrote about the hymn on my heart this month: Turn Your Eyes Upon Jesus. I had never heard the story behind this song, so I looked it up and found it here. The hymn was inspired by another piece of writing that the hymn-writer happened upon, so the bulk of the story is actually about the writer of that piece. I find it delightful that this beautiful song is a collaboration between two women who never knew each other! (NOTE: It took a while for the page to load the most recent time I looked at the article. So if it doesn't pop up right away, give it a minute!)


THREE. 

I wrote earlier this week about how we are “different-sizing” in our upcoming move. The space we’re entering is not smaller, but its layout makes it seem smaller in some ways. This article talks about how to downsize (or different-size) your own space, even if you aren’t moving!


FOUR. 


Half the fun of drinking hot chocolate is choosing the mug you’re going to drink from! I know everyone always has plenty of mugs, but if you do like a new one, can I recommend the MudLOVE collection? These beautiful pieces of pottery are made in Indiana! I own two MudLOVE mugs – and several pieces of their jewelry, too. They donate a portion of their proceeds to providing clean water in Africa, so every purchase is a win-win! (They also do fundraisers, so if you’re looking for a fresh take on fundraising, you can check that out.)


FIVE. 

I’ve told you before that if you want to keep a principle in your mind, you should keep it in front of your eyes, too! After working my way through the bulk of the Redemptive Compassion book this week, I found this piece of downloadable wall art. It’s perfect for a constant reminder that compassion is essential in our interactions with those around us. The words are straight from Scripture! (I told you I'm mostly done with the book, but my full review will be forthcoming!)


SIX. 

Yesterday I encouraged you to declutter from your home and life things like old bed linens and towels that you don’t use anymore. But before you throw them away, see if you can repurpose them in some way! This list gives you many suggestions on how to reuse old linens that have outlived their original life. Ryan and I usually move our old towels to the garage for him to use on messy projects car/construction projects. I’ve also seen animal shelters ask for old towels and blankets to use in dog kennels. Lots of ideas to get every last piece of life out of these items!

Have a great weekend, friends! I hope you find something good for your heart in this list!

4 comments:

Tamar SB said...

Our pre-k classes have kid versions of those sweatshirts! They are so cute in them!

Bekah said...

Tamar - How fun!! Mine is not figure flattering AT ALL, but it is SO warm and I love it. It's especially great outside at a fire pit!

Tracy Gayer said...

We had a department Christmas retreat, and we do a gift exchange. One year someone brought a Comfy, and it was a hot item that everyone wanted!
So many great ideas for old linens. I treated myself to two new bath towels yesterday, so I need to declutter a few of my old ones.
Thanks!

Natasha said...

We are always in need of old towels around here what with spills and wiping up the floor when there's too much snow on it and other things. However, I need to go through the old towels to see if there are some that need to go from there!