This is an ironic post to follow the one about love tasting like
a jamocha shake. I acknowledge it! We are nearly a month into this new year,
officially hitting the time when so many have abandoned their good intentions
for the year. It’s so easy to do. The discipline of pressing on is exceedingly
difficult. What’s the saying? If it were easy, everyone would be doing it.
Ryan and I have
clawed our way into this year, grasping desperately at some of the habits we
intended to change about our lives. Two of those were health-related, so I
thought they deserved a spot in our conversation this week.
Before January
even arrived, I spent a couple of hours laying out the meal plans for our
entire month. I have a secret hope that if I can keep this up for a “mere”
twelve months, I will have a nearly-lifelong meal plan structure that I can use
in years to come, saving myself so much time. I can swap out meals here and
there for variety, but I won’t have to sit and really work through hard-core
planning in the future if I’m consistent this year.
I suppose it
remains to be seen if I can continue this, but I’ve worked hard at January,
anyway! In the interest of transparency, I will confess that the thing I’ve
hated most about our January meal plans has been cooking when I’m bone-weary
and don’t want to do it. But I also have tried so hard to view cooking as an
act of worship. I’ve been praying as I cook, thanking God for providing for us
financially so we can purchase the food and for giving me a love of working in
the kitchen so that creating healthful meals for the two of us is something I
am able to do and (usually) want to do.
And on those
days I really don’t want to participate, I remind myself that this is
part of the discipline. As my health coach told me last year, if nothing
changes, nothing changes. If I want to see change in who I am, I have to put in
the work of cooking healthful meals.
I remember one
Sunday, in particular, we were driving home from church, and the meal plan was
to make homemade pizza with a healthy crust and healthy toppings. The only
thing I wanted to do on that drive home from church was to swing through Little
Caesars and get a hot and ready box for home. Ryan talked me out of It, and
though I don’t know that I could be accused of being overly happy about it in
the moment, I was glad for his accountability in the long run.
In full
disclosure, there was another day, later, when we were running behind and
decided to get the Hot and Ready box from Little Caesars. All things in
moderation. We did well once, and we gave in once. Overall, we’re improving.
We still go out
to eat. We still get treats. But the bulk of our food is prepared at home in
healthful ways.
And then there
are the workouts. We started at the beginning of January, and I wish you could
have been here to see me on day five. Day one? Leg day. Day two? Upper body.
Day three? Abs and core. Thank goodness for a recovery day on day four, because
I couldn’t move ANYTHING by then. Day five was dumbbell day, and I told Ryan I
enjoyed that one most of all. He was gone on day six, when I did a HIIT workout
on my own. I am not exaggerating when I tell you that every other move was a
burpee. EVERY. OTHER. ONE. I hate burpees. They are my least favorite exercise
of all time. And I had to do them for half the workout. I was mostly belly
flopping on the floor by the end of it. It wasn’t pretty. I think Lexi thought
I was injured. She was hanging over the baby gate, whining and looking awfully
concerned. I tried to reassure her that I was okay, but I’m not sure I was very
convincing.
But here we
are, almost a month in, and we’re still going. We’re still cooking healthful
meals. We’re still working out. We’re still attempting to incorporate rest and
good conversation and all the things that make life well-rounded without
including a single dumbbell.
It’s hard to
make new habits. It’s hard to carve out the time. It’s hard to keep going when
you’re bored and tired and sore and really want nothing more than to go back to
the blessed familiar. It’s hard when the people around you aren’t used to the
new schedules and presume you have all the same time and energy to do whatever
you used to do. New habits are an adjustment ALL the way around.
They are, however, completely doable – with grit and
determination! Don’t give up just because it’s uncomfortable. I’m cheering you
on today, friends! Let’s keep going and pursuing our best work.

3 comments:
You are encouraging me with this post. I started to use our rowing machine and then life got busy. Thank you for the reminder that new habits are HARD for everyone.
Habits are so hard to make and so easy to break. Keep it up!
Natasha - You can do it!!!!!!
Tamar - Thank you!!
Post a Comment