When Ryan and I were married a decade ago, we said we should just stay in Florida. December in a warm state is quite a draw.
When we went back to Florida for our 5th anniversary, we said we should just stay.
And when we went back last month, even though we didn’t go quite as far south and the weather wasn’t quite as warm, we once again questioned why we live so far north.
In fact,
shortly before we left to come home from our 10th anniversary trip,
we ran into a gentleman who does sand sculptures on the beach. We talked to him
for a while and learned he is originally from Michigan. He said he moved to
Florida more than a dozen years ago and hasn’t looked back. He told us we
should move south and promised we would never regret it.
I have a
feeling he’s not wrong.
In fact, we
heard the same story from several people we met around Florida.
Yet here we
are, living in the Midwest and its wintry offerings. And even though I’d dearly
love to shed my heavy coat, gloves, and cute winter hat, there are also things
I love about living in the land of four full seasons – even when one of them is
brutally cold.
I’ve been
asking the Lord how I can flourish in the frozen. Not just survive it until
spring springs…with its gorgeous delicate flower buds and first hints of leaves…but
really flourish in fullness. Even when the wind bites until I can’t
catch my breath, even when all the layers still aren’t enough, even when I have
to pull out the shovels and ice scrapers…how can I truly flourish?
Here’s what I
came up with and hope to live out in his cold winter season.
·
Focus – One of the best parts of being mostly confined to the inside is
the way the narrowing of my world also narrows my focus. I see fewer things in
quite a literal sense, so it allows me (pushes me?) to focus on matters of the
heart and home.
·
Laugh – Because Ryan and I are winter-sequestered in the house together,
we have plenty of time to laugh, and that indeed brings life and joy. We can
look at scrapbooks of memories and laugh over the good times we have enjoyed.
We can watch funny movies and TV shows and laugh over those. We can laugh at
Lexi, who is funnier than I ever knew a dog could be. Yes, laughter is good
winter medicine.
·
Organize – It’s one of my favorites, and we both know I do this year-round,
but the winter months push me to organize the inside of our home. That brings
me great calm and comfort!
·
Unwind – On the days when it’s too cold to walk outside and the roads are
too snowy and icy to drive safely, unwinding at home is the perfect way to rest
and rejuvenate. I struggle to unwind when I know there’s much to do, but when
the muchness is limited by the frozen outside, unwinding feels so much more
permissible.
·
Read – There isn’t a right or wrong time to read, but when darkness
falls early and the nights are cold, the time seems perfect to grab a book and
learn…or escape to warmer climates tucked between pages.
·
Improve – Maybe a new hobby, maybe the rebirth of an old one laid aside in
warmer days – whatever the source, these cold days are perfect for finding
something to improve in your life. Improve a character trait. Improve a skill.
Improve whatever the Lord leads you to do!
·
Steady – Life isn’t always about adding items or starting new adventures.
Sometimes it’s about staying steady and holding on. If the frozen seems to
paralyze you and beginning or adding just overwhelms, never fear. Hold steady
to what you already do, have, and know!
· Hope – God is the God of hope, and that is true in any and every season. But when January seems unending and dark, hang onto the hope that spring WILL come. Seasons are just that – seasons. They don’t last forever.
A And that is one of the things I love most about living in the land of four distinct seasons. They don’t last forever. This frozen winter may seem long, but spring is on its way. Flourish in the frozen now and when the new season comes, flourish in it too!
Psalm 115:14 – May the Lord cause you to flourish, both you and your children.

4 comments:
Even on the bitter polar vortex days I love being in a place with all 4 seasons!!
When we had that polar vortex a few years ago, my joke became that I feel sorry for people who live in warm areas because they don’t have the opportunity to build character like we do here!
Tamar - I fear I would miss all four more than I think if I ever moved away.
Tracy - LOL! SO MUCH CHARACTER!!!
On this day, when I am really struggling with winter, thank you for this post. There is a reason God made winter and I need to embrace that rather than dread/hate/resent it.
Post a Comment