Honoring the Sabbath isn’t new for me. I grew up in a home that had
a strong focus on respecting the Lord’s Day. We never ate out on Sundays – or
spent any money anywhere, for that matter. We didn’t go to stores, put gas in
the car, or even take the Sunday paper. We didn’t watch TV or do any housework
on Sundays. (I learned the hard way that homework was also off limits on
Sundays. I never knew that was an actual rule until the Sunday when I found a
forgotten assignment in my backpack and pulled it out to work on it.)
The day was all
about napping (which I did not appropriately appreciate as a child), attending
church, spending time with church friends, reading, and simply resting.
I don’t think I
found the delight in the Sabbath back then. It felt to me more like a day of
remembering all the things I couldn’t do, rather than appreciating the freedom
of rest. (You can understand, I’m sure. How many of you crave Chick-Fil-A or
want to start a Hobby Lobby project on Sunday more than any other day? The pull
of what you can’t have is strong for all of us!)
As an adult,
I’ve tried to continue what I was brought up to do, but I’ve also tried to find
the delight in the Sabbath.
You could read
articles for days (and I have!) on how we should observe the Sabbath, and most
of them wildly – and emphatically – disagree on what is acceptable. If you’re
hoping I have somehow found the accurate answer, I will disappoint you now and
tell you that I haven’t.
But I am
learning, a piece at a time, to pursue what I believe shows honor to the Lord.
· * No work. Scripture says we are supposed to work for six days and rest on
the seventh. We don’t do house or yard work on Sunday. For the most part, we
also don’t work vocationally on Sundays. I say “for the most part” because part
of Ryan’s work involves speaking in church services, and those take place on
Sundays.
· * Resting, body and soul. We almost always take naps on Sunday afternoons, and I do so
gladly and without guilt. We choose to spend part of the day watching TV, and I
often scrapbook or play on Pinterest, because those things are restful to our
minds and hearts. I know some people are adamant about unplugging from all
technology on Sunday, and that’s completely fine! There may come a day when I
feel convicted to do the same, but for now, I do choose to remain connected.
· * Church! We love our church. We love the teaching and our friends. Going
to church is a joy and pleasure, and it’s something we choose to make a
priority on Sundays.
One thing that can be challenging for us is handling the obligations
that occasionally pop up from family or friends. Ryan’s family often has
birthday parties on Sunday afternoons, and since we live a distance away,
participation in those means traveling and carving out part of the afternoon
that would normally be our rest and rejuvenation time for celebration instead. We
struggle, because we want to participate in family life and support his
siblings, but we also feel the pull to honor our need for rest.
Holidays, too, sometimes fall on Sundays, and that presents
similar conundrums. We sometimes host and sometimes attend, but either way, the
time allotted for rest on those days seems to lower significantly.
My hope is that I can hold legalism at bay and somehow remain
true to the convictions of my heart. Unfortunately trying to strike a balance
there is likely to offend someone along the way, so I just have to keep
chipping away at finding that fine line of obedient grace.
I hold my heart open before the Lord to learn and grow as He
chooses to lead and teach me, but I do want to say I’m grateful for the
teaching of my upbringing, and I’m grateful for a husband who strives to honor
the Sabbath too!

3 comments:
There is such beauty in honoring the Sabbath.
In Judaism there are 39 prohibitions on shabbat that pertain to work which dictate how it is observed (at the more observant level) which include anything from electricity to cooking!
I can get on board with the cooking one!! Just let me eat something easy and let me nap!
I think the whole point of Sabbath rest is that it should be restful and not legalistic. If you're too busy trying to remember if something is allowed, then to me, that isn't restful. We need to do a better job of carving out Sabbath rest.
Post a Comment