We keep our house on the cool side in all seasons. It’s warm
enough to be safe and stay well, of course, but cool enough for our broken
internal thermostats to be satisfied and not sweating. I would rather be a
little chilly and throw on a blanket than be melting in my clothes.
Warm drinks are
another of my favorite ways to stay warm in the chilly winter months. Most of
the time that means coffee, which will not surprise any of you, I know. And
as I shared with you a few days ago, I’m on a mission to learn to love hot tea,
so I’ll carry on with that experiment as well.
But sometimes a
cold Indiana day just calls for hot cocoa. Coffee and tea can’t possibly
fill in for good, old-fashioned, hot cocoa. While I would dearly love to
always recreate the hot chocolate bomb experience we enjoyed on our monthiversary
earlier in January, that is neither practical nor possible. (I don’t have the
skills or tools to make them, and they aren’t in our budget for regular
consumption.)
I have hot
cocoa mixes, but as with all things, I’m looking for ways to make this
treat just a little bit more on the healthful side. So, I set out to
find one that made me feel better about indulging while also still tasting like
the drink I know and love. It’s a tall order to demand of a classic drink: Be somewhat
good for me while still tasting indulgent.
For a while
now, I’ve followed The Food Babe on Instagram, and I confess there are days
when I have to keep her reports a bit at arm’s length, because otherwise I
would have to stop eating almost everything served everywhere. But I really do
try to learn from her teaching, and she is passionate
about the harmful ingredients in almost every single packaged hot cocoa mix out
there. They have tons of sugar, corn syrup, preservatives, and
artificial flavorings, and none of that is good for any of us. I can appreciate
that.
I hunted around
the internet and found this recipe for a homemade hot cocoa free of
processed sugars and the other harmful things. I was skeptical! I’ll admit it.
But I tried it one day and…I liked it!
I will offer a
few of my thoughts and observations:
·
It’s not as quickly made as a package of hot cocoa mix. You do
have to heat up the ingredients on the stove, and that takes a few minutes. But
dare I say – it tastes a little better because of the effort put into it?
·
Almond milk (my milk of choice) is not something I would sit and
drink by the glass like I would cow’s milk. But I’ve been ordering my lattes
with almond milk for a couple of years now, and I’ve gotten to the place where
I look forward to that nutty flavoring in the milk. It’s noticeable in this recipe too, but once you
get used to it, I think it has a pleasing taste – and it keeps me
satisfied for quite a while. I haven’t made this recipe with cow’s milk or oat
milk, so I don’t know how the taste would change there. (Side note: we have
moved to using almond milk exclusively because cow’s milk always spoils before
we can finish a carton. I do all my cooking with almond milk.)
·
I use honey to sweeten my hot cocoa. You could use maple
syrup (or a combination of honey and maple syrup) if you want, but the honey is
sufficient for me.
·
I use real vanilla extract, and while I’m typically of the
persuasion that you can’t use too much vanilla, I did try to add it
conservatively in this recipe. I didn’t want it to overpower the chocolate
flavor.
I don’t have hot cocoa every day, but I do enjoy a treat now
and then, and in my opinion, this is a fantastic option! I truly love making my
own from scratch – knowing it’s full of better-for-me ingredients, and
tweaking/customizing it to fit my tastes perfectly.


3 comments:
Yum! That sounds great!
I recently discovered "Jordan's Skinny Syrups" which are zero sugar, zero calories. Now I use them in my coffee with half and half instead of buying bottles of flavored creamer. I just ordered a variety pack of bottles from Amazon. I don't know if they're considered "healthy", but if they help me lower my sugar intake, then that can be a good thing.
Tamar - It is! :)
Tracy - I have had those before and they are really good!! I agree with you - they are definitely a better choice than something loaded with sugar! I celebrate that with you!
Post a Comment