Is it too soon to wish for spring? I confess I am ready. This
winter has already been long and dreary. (I have been thankful it hasn’t been extremely
cold, except for that one little stretch right before Christmas!) But even
though my heart still wishes for days of warm sun (or wintering in a sunnier
state), I cannot deny the stunning beauty of winter in all its glory.
If you can
bundle up enough, catch your breath against the icy air, and see even when the wind
pushes into your face, the sights of unmarred winter views are such a gift.
I do love a
proper winter photo shoot, but each time I go out, I find myself wondering if
it matters. Does one snow really look that different from another? How many times
can I photograph a leaf – up close – with snow resting on its fragile surface?
Though the
same, each winter is different. Each landscape is distinctive. Even every leaf
is as unique as the snowflakes that land on it. They’re worth visiting and
capturing in photos.
The first
couple of years Ryan and I were married, we had polar vortex-level winters. We
lived in Marion and played in the snow in our backyard, made snow-cream, and
dug ourselves out when the snow fell tall and drifted taller. We stuck a ruler
in the snow and measured the accumulation, and we watched as the branches of
the evergreen trees along the alley bent beneath the weight of white.
We moved to
Kokomo, and I marveled at the beauty of snow falling against the backdrop of
the woods across the road from our house. We went sledding down the icy
driveway of the neighbor a couple of doors down. I watched birds flock to the
pear tree in the front yard, looking for respite from the biting wind. It was
picturesque in new-to-us ways, and I captured all of it.
Then we went to
WillowBridge, and while shoveling a parking lot by hand dampened the joy of snowfalls,
the movie-esque town was stunning in snowfall. We took quiet walks late at
night – across town to get the mail – and marveled at the beauty of snow on
old-fashioned buildings. Our beloved meadow, where we so often walked and
talked, was a winter wonderland. We had fun on the sledding hill and watched baby Lexi bound along the path,
joyfully exploring the new-fallen snow.
I’m so glad
we’ve captured these places we’ve called home – in their snowbound beauty.
We’ve moved on to new chapters, written by the Lord, but we have the
photo-captured memories of winters in other seasons of life, homes, and
calendar years.
And it’s not
just our own homes we’ve captured. Nita’s stunning log cabin in the woods never
looked more majestic than it did in the snow.
Seeing the
awe-inspiring Biltmore Estate blanketed by snow was an unscripted travel memory
we will never forget.
Enjoying our
Beloved prayer chapel against the backdrop of snow was a perfect way to
celebrate our marriage.
Winter is
fierce, but it’s also fiercely beautiful. Take the pictures. Capture the
snowfalls and drifts, the icicles and encrusted puddles, and the pops of color
against the white blankets. Capture it all. Capture the memories and beautiful
views.
As the years
roll by and things about life change, you’ll be so glad to look back on the
pictures you took and remember the memories that accompany them!




4 comments:
I am a summer/ early fall person, but admit that winter can provide for some beautul pictures.
Have a wonderful day and hoping with you for spring to arrive quickly.
Summer/early fall sounds great to me right now! :) Hoping you have a wonderful day too!
I am craving a massive snow storm to soak in that beauty!!
I agree that this winter has been hard since it's either a major storm, too spring like, grey and dreary. So thank you for the reminder to catch the beauty of winter when we can. It really IS beautiful and I want to find the joy in all FOUR seasons.
Post a Comment