Friday, April 06, 2007

Let There Be Light!

There are some parts of adulthood that are just not my favorite. Among them - home repairs. I will decorate all day long. In fact, I have decorated every room in the house - some twice. I'm forever adding new pictures or changing the paint color or moving the furniture or adding curtains. That I can do. Actual repairs...not so much.
Last fall - I don't even know when, but an embarrassingly long time ago, my kitchen light went on the fritz. It was the oldest light fixture in the history of light. The round fluorescent bulbs. I thought the bulbs were bad, so I bought new ones - which was just shy of a $20 adventure - RIDICULOUS. That worked for a while and then even that didn't work all the time.
Shortly after that, my bathroom light went nuts. After cooking and applying makeup (in their respective rooms, you understand) by the twinkle of Christmas lights for two or three months, I finally called an electrician. He came and did what he could for both lights, but even he was mystified about why the lights wouldn't work consistently.
So, finally, a couple electrician-hunting disasters later, I found someone to look at the lights. Today I became the proud owner of two brand new FUNCTIONING light fixtures. I bought the units around the holidays. They've been riding in the trunk of my car ever since. But now they're up and running!
Now I get to tackle the carpet on the stairs...and the roof on the awning...



The bathroom before. Really, I did have a light fixture up, but after the first electrician came, he left it like this so it would be ready for the next guy. It really added to the decor.


The bathroom light - after. So weird to actually SEE my face in the mirror!

I have no words to describe....

No more cooking by flashlight! (It's the only way to tell when the pork chops are REALLY done.)

8 comments:

Christina said...

Nice lights! That first one (in the bathroom) is either identical or very close to the what we have in the kitchen and elsewhere downstairs. I highly approve!

Yeah for cooking without flashlights!

We're getting ready to tackle the kitchen faucet. It's been leaking for some time...

Bekah said...

Great minds think alike then, huh?

You know, now that you say back to me "Yeah for cooking without flashlights," this problem actually started last SUMMER. I remember this only because my sister came out for my Mom's surprise birthday party and she and I were making a broccoli salad really late at night. She'd never seen anyone make bacon by flashlight. Okay this problem officially went on WAY too long.

Good luck with the faucet. When you say "We're getting ready to tackle," do you actually mean the two of you? Or is it a hire out job?

Christina said...

Bekah,

The faucet is installed. The three of us spent the day searching (in vain) for an inexpensive twin bed for Emily and a new faucet for the kitchen sink and a new set-up for the shower/tub in our bedroom. The kitchen faucet is completely installed (by mostly Andrew and a little Emily and me). It looks so nice and sparkly clean and new.

The shower might be trickier...that one should be interesting.

And don't feel too bad about the lighting problem persisting for a while now. Remember that bathroom I had partially painted in August? Let's just say that no progress has been made, though I have taken the paint back to Home Depot to get it stirred twice now. Know when I bought the paint? Last January. Does that make you feel any better?

Malott said...

Your taste in lighting fixtures is superb.

Looks very nice.

Bekah said...

Christina - Well good for you and Andrew...I'm very impressed! I could pick OUT the faucet, but to install it would only lead to more writing material.

It does make me feel better about the paint...I can always come up and have a painting party with you! :) Or maybe we can make a pact to paint at our own homes on the same weekend or something. I need to redo the trim in the kitchen. It looks...tacky...right now.

Chris - I hope you're talking about the after pictures and not the before... :) They not only look good - but they WORK! Who knew? I cooked bacon at midnight last night and got to use actual LIGHT. Amazing! Thanks for stopping by the Bekahland blog - it's good to hear from you!

Unknown said...

Bek~

Don't feel bad about your lighting. Last Aug, my parents came for a visit, and my dad re-roofed half my garage, with the understanding that my husband would finish it.

I anticipate it will be done by the end of this summer...and probably by someone not named Bill or Kristin!

Bekah said...

Kristin - Yes, that does make me feel much better. Want me to send Kent out? I was thinking of asking him if he could fix my awning issue...and if he can do that, he can roof. Angie would probably love a road trip so he could roof your garage!

Cara Bara said...

woohoo, now when Phats and I come over, we don't have to go to the bathroom in the dark!