Monday, April 02, 2007

PB&J Day

Happy PJ&J Day!
At our church, that stands for Pastor Brian and Jaye. However, as much as they deserve a day in their honor, I don't think that is what today is about.
I found here an article that dishes all the good stuff about how Americans prefer their PB&J. I wasn't included in the original survey (why not??) but would love to offer my own PB&J preferences to you. It may also become my dinner of choice this evening because I will have to eat on my way to Bible study and it's just hard to have a sloppy joe in the car.
My perfect PB&J is a layer of crunchy peanut butter (amazingly enough, I don't care which brand) and a layer of my Mom's homemade strawberry jelly - on white bread. I want both layers on both slices, by the way. I eat the sandwich whole - well, I mean I take bites, but I don't cut the sandwich. I do eat the crust, although I tend to eat all the sides first to get the crust out of the way and get to the good stuff.
What's your perfect sandwich?

14 comments:

SkyePuppy said...

Do you mean what is my perfect sandwich? Or, what is my perfect PB&J sandwich? Because I never liked peanut butter and jelly together. They're each so much better without the other.

My dad turned me onto peanut butter & cheese sandwiches when I was a kid. Skippy. Creamy. With milk. Mmmm...

As a grownup, I have too many favorites. But none of them is PB&J.

Bekah said...

Well I was thinking what's your perfect PB&J - but you're right - not everyone likes it. So I'm glad you answered with your own perfect ultimate sandwich.

PB and cheese...hmmmm. any particular kind of cheese??

SkyePuppy said...

Usually, it's American cheese. But cheddar will do in a pinch.

Phats said...

OOO i love pb&j!! I could live off it.

I use Smooth PB, with Strawberry Smuckers Jelly, on white bread. I put the pb on piece, the jelly on the other then SMOOSH it together, and wah-la a fine snack.

I also enjoy a good club sandwich

Phats said...

BTW I prefer JIF! "Moms like you choose JIF, CHOOSE JIF!" if moms choose it, it's good enough for Phats

Bekah said...

Skyepuppy - I will have to try that when I have an adventuresome day...if it ends up becoming my new fave, I'll give you the credit. :)

Phats - I'm pretty sure it was my friend Angela that was a big Jif fan and wouldn't eat anything else. I never could tell the difference between the PB's. My poor kids. They won't have a very choosy mom, I guess. Cheap moms choose Great Value? Think that slogan will catch on?

Unknown said...

My favorite PB&J is PB on both slices of bread (creamy is preferred) and my grandma's homemade red raspberry pineapple jelly on one slice.

I prefer wheat sandwich bread, but will eat any bread that is soft and smooshy.

If jelly is not available, I would be willing to substitute honey or lettuce with my peanut butter.

Bekah said...

Kristin - I've had to learn to love wheat bread as part of my "Bekah gets healthy" routine this year, but white is still my preference. Soft and smooshy bread, though, reminds me that when I was in college, Mom always bought whatever brand name bread my dad liked, and I LOVED Marsh brand bread. I called it my chewy bread. She couldn't figure out why I preferred generic chewy bread over the "good stuff" but she made sure we always had it.

Peanut butter and lettuce? I have never heard of that one either. Look how many new things I'm learning about! Peanut butter and honey is good though - I've had that.

SkyePuppy said...

Phats & Bekah,

I don't understand the preference for Jif. It always tastes a little burnt to me.

Skippy all the way...

SkyePuppy said...

Oh, as I was discussing your post with my officemate, I remembered another peanut butter joy from my childhood: Feed some to your dog (or cat).

It's best if you take a piece of bread with PB on it, and just as the pet is taking its bite, you push the bread (PB side up) against the roof of its mouth. Great for many, many minutes of viewing pleasure. (This is where my kids would pipe in with, "Mom! You're so mean!").

Christina said...

I prefer my PB&J this way...on soft Italian bread with a light slathering of creamy peanut butter on each side (I used to be a Peter Pan fan...) and strawberry preserves in between. Just a little of the preserves goes a long way, in my humble opinion.

Oh and Skyepuppy...your peanut butter and cheese sandwich sounds almost as bad as Andrew's peanut butter and Miracle Whip sandwich. Yucky!!!

Bekah said...

Skyepuppy - I never understood the Jif thing either, but those Jif fans are LOYAL! And you know...sometime that feeding PB to hte animals thing might just pass a few boring minutes. I think it would scare Kaegan if I tried it, but it might be humorous to watch Braeya...

Christina - here's what I'm thinking. Take Andrew's mayo, Skyepuppy's cheese, and Kristin's lettuce, and THERE is a better sounding sandwich. Eat the peanut butter by itself?

SkyePuppy said...

Christina,

I'm glad you said PB & Cheese sounds "almost" as bad. PB & Mayo sounds revolting. I'll take the cheese any day.

Pete said...

Two layers of Jif Natural Creamy Peanut Butter holding a layer of Aunt Sue’s Raw and Unfiltered Wildflower Honey, a sliced Chiquita banana on top of the peanut butter, and Smucker’s Natural Concord Grape Jelly, all brought together between two slices of Private Selection Wide-Pan 100% Whole Wheat Bread. Can’t get much better than that for a healthy and yummy homemade sandwich. I’m eating one right now made with the above ingredients, and it’s so delicious.