Like I said yesterday, it’s been
a week around here. So much hard stuff happening across our state with all the
unexpected flooding that has devastated a number of towns and cities, claimed
some lives, and probably destroyed a bunch of crops. I don’t ever recall
hearing of some of these places flooding before, so it’s all been very strange.
The lake has been high – higher than
I’ve ever seen it, actually – but it has good drainage measures in place, for which
we are thankful. And I am so glad we had yard drains installed a couple
of years ago. It was an undertaking when it happened, but without them, our
house would absolutely have water standing in it this week.
So with all that news out of the
way, here is a peek at our week.
Last Sunday
afternoon, we spent some time at Swiss Village with Mom and Dad. It was
actually mostly Mom this time, because Dad was taking a long nap. She was extra
funny in her stories that day, and it was fun to sit with her during her
dinner.
Monday was a
long workday for me, and I was so focused on the work at hand, I failed to take
pictures of anything. I was in the office by myself all day and knocked out a
ton of work…and I ended the day in a long funeral visitation line. So when I
arrived home, I hit the couch hard, exhausted. Someone was very attentive when
my almond butter snack arrived. She’s never more quiet and patient than when
she thinks a snack is coming her way.
Our Tuesday
was riddled with intense thunderstorms. So much lightning and thunder. I think
that was the worst storm I’ve ever driven in. Kind of terrifying! But in the
middle of the day, I was able to meet with a church member at a coffee shop,
and we had a long, good talk. This was my first visit to this new coffee shop,
and I absolutely adored it. I will be back!
Wednesday
brought more torrential downpours. If you’re reading from afar and have seen
Indiana in the news, we ae not in the part that has been hardest hit, but we
are still pretty soggy! After solid rain most of the day, we were shocked that
we had a beautiful sunset and a chance to take Lexi for a walk. And look what
we saw while we were out! These beauties are so much prettier when NOT
colliding with my car.
The rains
continued throughout the week, making for gloomy days and nights. We decided to
head to the grocery store on Thursday evening and made a quick stop by the
thrift store while we were at it. Didn’t find any treasures this time, but it
sure was fun to look!
I spent Friday
working from home and doing some school work. For the first time since I
started my class, I ran into some stuff that was really hard to wrestle
through in my heart. I know it’s good to be pushed and stretched, and that is
part of the point of school. Didn’t make it easier or any fun, and I even cried
over it a little. But I kept reminding myself that discomfort fosters growth if
you let it. I tried to let it.
You may or
may not remember that a couple of years ago, when Mom and Dad moved to Swiss
Village, Mom’s kitchen island came to live here. It had been made for her –
including for her height. It was too short for me to comfortably use, so for
almost the whole time that it has been here, we’ve had it propped up on bed risers.
It was an affordable fix, even if it looked a bit questionable. As part of our
slow kitchen revision, we moved it to permanent legs, and I love how it looks! I
appreciate Ryan’s ability to do projects like this!

No comments:
Post a Comment