Wednesday, August 26, 2026

Wednesday in the Word: He Fills In

 


It feels a little bit like an occupational hazard when I sit down to pray, and words just won’t come. People courageously share their hard, heartbreaking moments with me, and I open my mouth to pray and suddenly even my broad vocabulary falls short of meaningful.

                Yesterday I walked back and forth across a room, and when I opened my mouth, the only thing that came out was God.

                And then I remembered the words in Romans 8, where we read that the Spirit intercedes for us with groanings too deep for words. While I may groan because my words fall short, He groans because words aren’t deep enough.

                It was so comforting in that moment to be reminded that I don’t have to come up with the words. If I can think of some, that’s great. If I can’t, He fills in.

                Maybe the words show up on command for you. But if you ever find yourself in a moment where you can’t muster up anything at all, it’s okay. He fills in.

No comments: