Thursday, August 27, 2026

Thrifty Thursday: For the Home

 


Last Saturday, my friend Kari drove up to shop with me…for the entire day. We had the best time hopping from thrift store to consignment store to antique store, and both of us came home with some treasures. On this thrifty Thursday, I want to tell you about the fun finds I uncovered for our house! I found some clothes, too, but today I’ll tell you about the house.

                Actually, my house-décor-luck started the day before that, when Ryan and I were coming home from the staff retreat. We stopped to grocery shop and I took a quick spin through the Goodwill before we went to buy food. I found two treasures for the house!

                This set of four wooden coasters cost $1.99 and felt perfect for our house. We had some coasters that I would guess we’ve had for over a decade. They were personalized but were so worn you couldn’t read most of our name anymore! I retired those and brought in these cute little coastal-feeling beauties.

                This basket was just $2.99, and I wasn’t even entirely sure where I would put it when I bought it, but it fits PERFECTLY in my closet on a shelf. I tossed a blue plastic Dollar Tree basket that had been holding all my workout shorts and leggings and put those in this instead. (We’re trying to eliminate plastic…and this particular basket was also cracked in multiple places. Now I just need to have this same basket luck about four more times to finish the closet! Ha!


                Okay, NOW we can move on to my Saturday shopping trip. When Kari and I were at Fraction in Bluffton, I found these three velvet pumpkins in blue and white! The big one was $4.00, and the two little ones were $2.00 each. I plan to put them either on my mantel or around the fireplace. I’m excited to have pumpkins that match our color scheme!

                Next, we went to a store called This and That. It’s an eclectic store with all kinds of things. They have some books, most of which are a dollar, but cookbooks are $2.00. I found a perfect-condition SkinnyTaste cookbook! (I cook from her website quite often and have always loved seeing her cookbooks in stores. I was excited to bring it home! 

                Kari’s favorite store was a new(ish) place in Berne called Cuckoo and Co. It has booths curated by different local people, so each one has a different feel to it. I found three amazing things at this store. Want to see?

                The first was this double-handled basket, which I have already started using as my garden produce basket. Until now, I’ve been using a plastic collapsable tub we bought for dishwashing in the RV. I like the basket so much better, and it’s perfect. I put a kitchen towel in the bottom to catch any tomato juices. The basket was $9.00 – which is more than a Goodwill price but was really good for a booth store.



                I also found this big round basket for 18.00. I am using it for a laundry basket! I also had a collapsable plastic laundry basket, but it had cracked in multiple places, and I’ve long wanted a wicker laundry basket. This is perfect!

                And lastly (and maybe the coolest of all), I found this amazing blue kitchen scale for 18.00. I’ve been eyeing these for a while but have never seen a blue one. I have a vision in mind for it and will show you what it looks like when I get it all put together!


                Next week I’ll tell you about the clothes I found!

No comments: