Tuesday, January 06, 2009

Weirdness and Water Cooler Talk

...Oh how I enjoyed vacation. The sleeping in...the taking it easy...I enjoyed the days off as days off deserve to be enjoyed. I was a great blend of productive and lazy.

And real life resumed starting Monday morning at alarm time. WAAAAHHHHHH!!!!! Since I thought some of you might need a laugh...and because water cooler talk time has also resumed...

* Went to Wal-Mart Monday night. Ended up waiting a while in line (gasp) and this middle-aged man was wandering up and down the main aisle that runs behind all the check-out lanes. He was carrying on a marvelous conversation with himself. (It really was with himself - there were no hidden blue-tooths.) He eventually cut in front of my cart, which I allowed him to do since I wasn't about to get caught in talking whatever nonsense he was jabbering. He proceeded to choose a candy bar...and talked to the entire selection of them as he chose. I quickly got on the phone with my sister so as to avoid the situation. He sounded much like Ernest T Bass from Andy Griffith - though he didn't throw rocks at anyone.

* Last night was the season premiere of the Bachelor. Mr. Jason. What a sweetie. I found (as I expected) that most of the "amazing 25 women" were a little on the shallow side. To warn you...I'm terrible with names at the beginning of seasons...but I really liked the widow with the little girl. I thought she seemed pretty normal. I was glad he offered her a rose. At this point, that's the only favorite I have. But this whole twist of bringing DeAnna back - what is that!?!? I have theories, but I'm sure none of them are right.

* After my LONG, insanely busy day at work, my LONG, insanely busy night of chores, and two hours of watching Jason and his 25 amazing women, I was ready for some SLEEP. Only - I couldn't fall asleep. Don't you hate it when that happens? I finally fell asleep shortly before one, only to be awakened a few minutes later by some music. I could not figure out what it was or where it was coming from. I ruled out the cell phone (didn't recognize it as one of my ringtones and the phone was not ringing when I found it and looked at it). I ruled out an ice cream truck (given that it is January and it was one in the morning). I thought for a moment it might be this stuffed Christmas cat I have that has a music box in its paw. It's packed away for the season, but at 1:00 in the morning, I could well envision a monstrosity of a raccoon or possum somehow getting into the storage, opening the plastic tub, and pushing the cat's paw. But the music wasn't Christmas music, so I had to rule that out as well. Then I recognized the music. La Cucaracha. I knew what it was...this stupid toy I have for when my friends' kids come over to play. It has several songs on it and that's one of them. I was a bit concerned that said toy was in a room with no people and from the looks of my bed - no cats. How did it start playing? I almost called 911, thinking I had an intruder, but I wasn't sure how to explain to them that I'd concluded I had a break-in based on a toy playing La Cucaracha at one in the morning. So I investigated the house, found nothing amiss, and forced myself to believe a cat had hit the toy, and made it back to my room before I was coherent enough to realize what happened. Tonight, however, I walked by that stupid toy and it just started playing. No one was touching it. Dumb toy.

* Consequently, I had a headache and felt icky for most of today. I rallied in time to make caramel corn and watch the Biggest Loser. Not sure how I feel about this twist of sending 9 people home on the first night! But I really like the older couple (bless their hearts) and the 19 year old who lost 30 pounds in one week. SWEET. And I did not see one single Vicky in that crowd of people...although I guess time will tell.

I think that hits the highlights of the last couple of days...I shall now figure out how to remove the stupid batteries from that stupid toy.

8 comments:

Christina said...

I actually have useful advice for you! (I know, shocking!)

Change the batteries in the toy. When they start to wear down, we have discovered that the toys will randomly start playing music or doing whatever they do. Usually, putting in new batteries does the trick.

(Can you tell we've had this happen many, many times?) Currently, I can tell that Emily's little kitchen set needs new batteries because the faucet sound will go off at random times...usually late at night when nothing is touching it.

SkyePuppy said...

La Cucaracha is an evil song, no matter how you look at it. I say shoot the toy. Or... um... change the batteries like Christina says.

Tsofah said...

Better yet, take the batteries out. Put them in the toy when your friends children visit.

Now, if it starts playing after THAT...shoot it.

Bekah said...

I went to take the batteries out before bed last night and realized it has the safety device of a screw holding the battery door shut. I had no energy to find the screwdriver, so I hid the stupid thing in a closet far far from my room.

Maybe from now on they'll be forced to contend with Pla-Doh and crayons. Nice, quiet things.

Christina said...

Playdoh and crayons..."nice quiet things" that can be permanently ground into your carpet and upholstery....

Just a thought!

And I agree...I hate the dang safety screws. You and I survived without the safety features.

SkyePuppy said...

As someone who grew up before safety screws, I say 9V batteries are the most fun. That little buzz when you touch it to your tongue... ooo-eee!

All the other batteries are a big bore.

Christina, you reminded me. I once went to the ladies' room at an aquarium, and the fragrance they used was (I think) supposed to smell like vanilla. But it smelled exactly like Play-Doh. I felt as though I should be surrounded by small children when I was in there.

Bekah said...

Christina - I'm not sure about you, but I survived with toys that did NOTHING. No talking, no music, no interactive anything - stuff just SAT til you did something with it.

I forgot about the pla-doh being ground into carpet. I'll have to designate an area for it. the porch, perhaps? LOL.

Skyepuppy - Should I worry about this battery addiction?? :)

Christina said...

Bekah,

Yes, I definitely remember playing with plain, silent, unpainted wooden blocks and being perfectly happy to sit for long periods of time building. I can't think of anything that played music or talked except my record player that read stories to me at bedtime.

I used the refrigerator section of my kitchen to make Barbie's apartment building (and later the shelves of my closet when Barbie needed to upsize.)

Oh, and I read. All the time.

I have found that Miss Em still plays the most with the simplest toys. She loves pla-doh, her aqua doodle and her coloring books. Noise is over-rated!