Thursday, January 01, 2009

Things of January...

As I've said before, I love a new year. Everything about it. If every day could be a New Year's Day, I'd get so much done...and yet so little done.

Today was a pretty perfect New Year's Day. Sleeping in...fixing breakfast...which runs into lunch...venturing out only if I feel so inclined...scrapping...TV marathons...cooking dinner...plenty of time to read my Bible and journal...these are the makings of a perfect New Year's Day.

And then before January ends I find myself back in the rushing mode. But for today it feels good to have things under control.

Ringing in the new year (for me) brought a new experience:


This is my first and probably final attempt at pool. From now on the only pool I think I like is the one with the word "swimming" in front of it. Last night I was invited over to Chris and Trudy's house (friends of mine for the last several years) - and Chris took me to the garage to show me his newly created "man cave." The prominent feature was this refurbished pool table, and he insisted that I try it, playing against Trudy's sister, Joy. He assured me she'd just learned to play and really it would be fine. Joy had the win of her pool career. There's just no way to describe how horrible I am at pool. I begged to quit. Chris wouldn't let me. But I think everyone rejoiced when Joy finally won and I could go back in the house and play with the kids.

So with 2008 and non-swimming-pool(s) behind me, I am excited about January.

* New season of The Biggest Loser. I so hope this new season goes back to being inspirational and doesn't have all the Vicky-ish drama of last season.

* New season of The Bachelor. Truth be told, I've about had it with this show. It's getting annoying. But I so wanted Jason to be chosen last time that I just have to watch this one last season and see who he falls in love with! (Will they still be in love by the time the finale airs? THERE is the question.)

* New season of American Idol. Yes, I do plan to do something besides watch TV! But you all know I love this show!! I'm not sure how I'm going to juggle all three new seasons - especially since a couple of them overlap in airing times. But we'll see how it goes.

* Scrapping with my buddies. My scrapping buddies from my previous church were kind enough to extend an invitation for me to join them in their January scrap day, so I'm really excited about that. I miss them!

* Church retreat. The ladies at my new church have a retreat planned, and one of my new friends invited me to go. I'm looking forward to that time of getting away - and getting to know them better. They are fun girls!!

* Smaller case-load! We just hired a new counselor at work - an added position, not a replacement - so this means my group of students gets smaller. I'm sad about losing some of them, but I always love a smaller group because it means I get to spend more time working with the ones I have. The new division starts next week.

* NO SHOVELING! Okay so that's just on my wish list. But it would be so so nice to have a month with no ice and no snow accumulation over an inch!! (I know, I know...move to Arizona.)

I'm sure there's more...but the laundry is almost done drying...and I have a dessert yet to make and some other chores to do.

In the meantime - HAPPY NEW YEAR!!

No comments: