Friday, March 24, 2017

Do the Thing

What I'm about to say is not new. In fact, it's (I'm sure) not even the first time I've blogged about it. But it's one of those things that bears repeating, because for as simple as it is, we all seem to forget it. I needed a reminder this week, so maybe you do too.

This week was heavy in Shafferland. Nothing bad happened - no need to worry - but it was just one of those weeks when adulting piled up on us and no one likes excessive adulting. Hard conversations, hard decisions, lots of questions, lots of prayer, and a batch of chocolate chip cookies to survive the thing. (You've been there. You know it!)

I was actually in the middle of baking said batch of cookies - for Ryan, of course - when I went out to check the mail. Have I mentioned that the mail is my most favorite moment of the entire day? I think our mail carrier thinks I'm certifiably nuts because she knows I'm watching for her and sometimes even rush out to greet her as soon as she arrives. I'm such a toddler about mail!

Anyway. So I went to get the mail, and much to my surprise, I found this in the box:
What? Where did this come from? Is it really mine?

But it was right there with my name on a label. No mis-delivery.

Someone gifted me a subscription to the Magnolia Journal!

I had no idea who had done it, but I was one grateful girl, and after lunch, I curled up on the couch with a blanket, my coffee, and the magazine for a relaxing, heart-soothing hour.

Since I didn't know who to thank for this lovely gift, I took to Facebook and said how grateful I was, and I was so happy that my gift-giver spoke up! She wanted to thank me for helping her with something and so thoughtfully surprised me.

A couple of hours later, when I went to see Ryan at work, he handed me a card he'd been asked to pass along my way. I opened it and found the nicest note inside. Just kind, affirming words from a friend who wanted to brighten my day.

Suddenly the hard, adulting-filled week felt lighter.

Nothing huge, right? But isn't it astounding how small things like notes and thank-you gifts can lift the spirit?

I am trying to be better at paying attention to the little nudges in my soul when people come to mind. A quick text or a card in the mail or a batch of really good cookies to share - it doesn't have to be major. It's just good to reach out with an "I see you," or "I appreciate you." It goes a long way.

I'm reminding you and I'm reminding myself: when someone comes to mind, reach out. Do the thing. Show some love. We all need it!

6 comments:

Maria Rineer said...

What sweet surprises! I've felt nudges before to do things for people. Honestly, sometimes I've acted on them and sometimes not. Great reminder to reach out when someone comes to mind.

Tamar SB said...

How sweet of someone to gift that to you!!!
Adulting is hard but sweet surprises like this make it a bit better!

Shari said...

I SO agree and am so glad you had reminders this week of how special you are!!

Anonymous said...

I love this post. A great reminder for me! And I am totally with you on the whole "watching for the mail" thing. The mail is the highlight of my day. My neighbor once told me sometimes she forgets to get her mail for a few days and I was like "WHAT?!"

Anonymous said...

THANK YOU for this reminder. :) XOXO

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for this post!

I love to read your blog and do so everyday. You uplift my spirits many times!
Have a blessed day and thank you for being such a blessing!
Tammy