Tuesday, February 16, 2016

The Snowball Effect

Podcast Day! And yes, we're talking about the house {some} and our non-bungee-jumping Valentine's Date! But never fear...the blog story continues below!!

Despite my begging to the contrary, you hate me, don't you? All the to be continued-ing? Like I said yesterday, it's how the story is going for us, too, and I assure you that even as you read this today, we do not know the details of how it all will end. So parts of it are as much a mystery to me as they are to you!!

Okay. So I told you we decided we loved this darling little house we'd walked through and yet we had no clue if anyone else also loved it like we did.

On our monthiversary, we prayed. A serious, heads-bowed, on-our-knees kind of prayer. The kind of hit-the-floor prayer that we hoped demonstrated the utter seriousness of our hearts. As we prayed, Ryan felt overwhelmed with a nudge to get paperwork started to make this a reality. And when we stood up from our hit-the-floor prayer, he did just that very thing.

Whoa.

The next day, he called the listing agent of the house we loved and thanked her personally for sending the text of the kitchen table and conveyed to her that we had fallen hard and fast for this house and were putting paperwork in motion to make it ours. He hung up the phone, still anxious in not knowing if we were up against anyone else, but comforted that he had done what he could to make our case known. {The listing agent later told Cathy that in all her years of real estate, no buyer has ever called to offer personal thanks and hope and that Ryan's call was extremely impressive to her.}

While Ryan got busy on more paperwork for our future, I met with Cathy to once again list our house for sale. It was both exciting and defeating to have this meeting with her. I wonder sometimes if all our neighbors have some sort of betting pool on when we're going to list our house AGAIN and how long it will take for us to give up after it doesn't sell. Five years of signs flying in and out of the yard has to be comical to watch - unless, of course, the signs are in YOUR yard.

When Cathy came with all the paperwork, her assistant came to take pictures. I shook her hand and Cathy mentioned in passing that this home had been my grandparents' house. The woman asked me who my grandparents were, and when I told her their names {keep in mind they both passed away when I was in high school}, her jaw dropped clear to the floor. "I worked for your Grandma" she started, and I finished for her - "at the bakery, right?"

Goose bumps.

With all our paperwork in place to list our house and to be ready to buy a new one, Ryan and I asked Cathy if we could make a contingent offer on the house we loved. She came back with good news and bad news. The good news was, we could definitely make an offer. The bad news was, the people who owned the house had an offer of their own in on THEIR new dream home. And if they didn't close by a certain date, they risked losing that house. They were willing to meet us in the middle as much as they could by delaying the closing of the house they were selling/we were buying to the last possible day before they HAD to close if it would help us to have more time to sell our house.

And so it was that on Thursday, February 4th, one week after we walked through the house we never planned to love, we signed an offer for that very home.

Within about twelve hours, they counter-offered and just past quittin' time on Friday, we sat in Cathy's office signing the counter-offer.

We went home to eat clean-eating-approved Chinese food and stared at each other.

Did we just buy a house?

And more importantly - we needed a straight-up miracle where our own home was concerned. It didn't matter that the house hadn't sold in five years. We needed it to sell on the double.

Back when we still owned Ryan's Greentown house, we made a solemn vow that we would never again own two homes. And we thought long and hard about that - and more than mere thinking - we prayed long and hard about that before we signed the offer. But we knew in our souls that this wasn't just impulsive Shafferness we were participating in. Based on the specific prayers we had prayed over the last week or so, God had unmistakably opened doors we did not ever expect to see open. Moving forward was the right choice, and we knew it in our hearts. We also knew we were about to walk into the biggest faith challenge we'd seen yet in our marriage.

And it scared us to death.

To be continued...and since I know you're mad about that, I'll just ask that every time you get the urge to yell at me, pray for our house to sell instead, okay?? That should garner a lot of prayer!! :)

11 comments:

Maria Rineer said...

So you didn't end up doing the contingent offer? My husband and I made the same vow about owning two homes. We still have two law school loans and one income. We'd like to keep that our only majorly skewed financial obligation!! So exciting about your new home and your new listing.

Bekah said...

We did not do a contingent offer, no, since the sellers could not do it. Even though it's a faith stretch, we feel peaceful about it! And my goodness, yes, if we had two law school loans, we'd feel the same as you!!

Tamar SB said...

Congrats on signing the offer!! And praying it sells - really St. Josephs - my conservative Jewish mother did it twice and it worked!

Unknown said...

How exciting to see how God is working in your lives! God honors those who honor Him. To honor Him by surrendering to His Will can be very difficult, especially when it goes against your natural born personality traits, but waiting upon Him will indeed renew your strength and build your faith. I love you both and am praying boldly for your housing situation. God will take care of you!!

Unknown said...

Just found your house on realtor.com....I'm not stalking, I promise! Super super cute!!! Praying that just right people come along quickly and LOVE it as much as you love your new home!

Christina said...

Congratulations on your new home! Everything will fall into place as it should....but you already sense that, don't you? I'm so excited for you and Ryan and your dining room table! :)

Paula Alexandra Santos said...

We're praying for you here in Portugal!
:)

Anonymous said...

yayyyy new house!!

and come on Marion house... sell!!! praying!

I am looking forward to the blog posts of the NEW place and what it looks like and all you do to make it Ryan and Bekah's space. So so love this story!!!

XOXO

Bekah said...

Thank you so much, everyone, for all the kind words and prayers! We are so excited for this journey, even though we are appropriately terrified as well. LOL!!!!!!!

Natasha said...

I shed soooooo many tears during our house buying process. It was soooo hard.

The cooking class sounds like so much fun! Someone gave that to us as a wedding gift and I still make one of the recipes.

Thank you so much for always being so faithful and always being honest and yet setting a good example.

Natasha said...

Okay this whole post gave me goose bumps and I realized as I was reading it that I was so behind on blog reading that I have no idea if your house has sold yet. I'll have to pray a lot and catch up quick!