So I sat here trying to think of something to blog about, and I decided to just go ahead and tell you the beginning of the we're-moving-unless-something-really-weird-goes-wrong story, because it's pretty much all we've got right now in the line of Shafferland stories. {And yet, what a big one!}
I should begin this way:
Hi, my name is Bekah and I have a realtor.com addiction.
It's true. For the last five years, if there has been a house for sale pretty much anywhere in the continental United States of America, I've read the listing and possibly memorized random, useless facts, such as the year it was built and whether it's on a public or private water source.
I'm not kidding. I just liked to know my options. You know...in case our house sold.
In that time frame, I learned one thing: if I loved a house more than life itself, it was guaranteed to sell in a week flat. And not to me. This is actually a proven fact. I cannot tell you how many houses I loved until it hurt and they just up and sold. It was kind of like my single years all over again. Find a cute man? He'd find a wife in a week. No joke.
Actually I guess I learned two things, because it also became pretty obvious that Ryan and I could never agree on a house. I would just be slobbering over one, and I'd hesitantly push the laptop his way for him to see, and before he'd even gotten to the INSIDE pictures, he'd found bushes and trees to rip out, a piece of peeling paint tucked under a window, and all manner of things I overlooked in the cuteness that swallowed me whole.
It's why we're a team. Otherwise I'd be living in some adorable shack that was about to fall over. But it would be cute as it fell! Let the record show!!!!
We went through seasons where both of us would spend our evenings perusing houses in various towns. We looked in our own town. We looked in lake towns. We looked in ocean towns. We looked in his work's town. You would think in one of those towns, we could agree on a house, wouldn't you?
Nope.
And so it was, not quite a month ago, I was feeding my addiction and I found the cutest house ever on the planet that had just come on the market. I showed it to Ryan and squinted while he scrolled, trying to avoid the forthcoming eyerolls and de-landscaping plans.
And he said, "I love it."
I'm sorry: what?
I wasted no time calling my real estate friend and asking her if she could get us a showing in that darling house. She set one up and I sat forever in front of each online picture, placing our furniture in the rooms.
The Friday before we were supposed to see the house, she called. It sold. In four days flat, the cutest house on the planet sold right out from underneath us, and we hadn't even gotten to see it for ourselves.
I immediately canceled all my plans for the day, curled up in the fat chair, and sobbed for the entire day. I didn't care. I didn't apologize. I was heartbroken and I intended to grieve it out. And I did.
By Saturday, Ryan and I took deep breaths and clicked back onto the realtor.com app to look for something else. We found nothing, but I felt we'd taken a big step by getting ourselves back out there. {When did life start to look like my dating years again??} And if nothing else, we'd learned that the truth was we really were both ready to move at the same time. And we had our sights set on the same town. That was new. And it felt good.
To be continued...
6 hours ago

10 comments:
Have you considered building a home? I mean not literally you (although between Ryan and members of his family, there'd probably be enough skill to get everything done!) rather hire a builder? I don't know about in your part of Indiana, but here in Ohio, land is relatively cheap and one can find building companies who build from a set of house plans from which you choose or builders who build completely custom homes. Just curious if you've ever thought of that.
Maria - Great question! That actually was our dream for quite some time. Ryan owned a plot of land before we got married, and he'd purchased it with the dream of building on it one day. We had a floor plan picked out and had gone to see a model home version of it and everything - and then we found out due to some law changes, we can't build on that land anymore. Another frustrating little piece of the journey. Plus, for us to be able to build what we really want {which is by no means extravagant} - we just can't afford it on the income we have. Who knows - maybe one day that will be able to come true for us, but it won't be as soon as we'd hoped!
I'm excited to hear more!!!
My very Jewish mother, when struggling to sell our houses in the past was known to bury St. Joseph ala the Catholic tradition - houses sold in no time flat and she went "God is God, when it is meant to be, it is!"
Good luck!!
So funny, Tamar! I heard about St. Joseph back five years ago when we first tried to sell. I guess it was just me back then. I did not for one second believe in it, but I got one and buried it according to the instructions.
So that worked well! LOL!
Noooooooooooooo not to be continued!!! haha I can't wait til tomorrow!!! okay yes i can.
:)
XOXO
If all those houses sold, it's because the one God has for you and Ryan is better than all of them.
And then, when you find it, you'll be soooo grateful that you didn't bought another house...
Trust Him and remember:
"And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who[a] have been called according to his purpose." Romans 8:28
You better not be moving too far away! (Unless there's a new ocean I'm unaware of, that's too far!) But otherwise, I'm very excited for you two.
Buying a house is fun and challenging and terrifying and trying all at the same time. I know that the right house will appear at exactly the right time. I also know that it is immensely frustrating to be patient and wait when you want to go now.
Have you thought about having someone 'stage' your house? I'm sure you won't like it much, same as I didn't, because it depersonalizes the house so that when it shows, people can better imagine their own things in place, but it made a huge difference for us. After we decided it was time to come home from Cleveland the house went on the market and stayed there for a year with plenty of showings, but no results. The couple of offers we did get were insulting!!! When the second contract expired, we changed to another realtor. She came in and gave us a list of changes to make from removing almost all items from the countertops in the kitchen to arranging furniture differently to make the rooms look bigger. The difference was amazing and the house sold within a couple of months. Since I know it was God's timing, I believe he put this realtor in our path to facilitate his timing. Will be praying for you, but definitely something to think about. Love you guys!!!
Polly - So sorry! And again today! I'm so mean!
PA - You are SO RIGHT! And thank you for the verse reminder! :)
Christina - if ONLY Indiana had oceans, right??? Sigh. Patience isn't our best virtue, but we're sure giving it our best shot!
Karen - We haven't done a staging, only because the best compliment we consistently get when it IS shown is that the inside is darling in every way. People seem to love the way we decorate and have everything laid out. Our location gets us more than anything else, and there's not much we can do about that, sadly. Several years ago, the city started a subdivision not far from here that was the first "affordable" such place in town. Ever since then, people tend to gravitate toward that community. Were it not for that, I am confident the house would have sold easily years ago. And even though our price is a bit under what people pay out there, they tend to up their budget and go newer. I get it, but it's still frustrating.
Even though I know how this story ends it's still so fun (and cliffhangy) to read it now. Lots of tears were shed by me during our house buying process too. Oceans of them, in fact.
Post a Comment