Friday, May 01, 2015

Grieving, Groundwork, and Goosebumps

When I turned in my resignation to WBCL, I gave almost twelve weeks' notice. The job has many tiny pieces and parts to it, and training takes a while. I wanted to be fair to Lynne and to the person God has for this job...to have plenty of time to train before moving ahead into what God has next for me. It seemed great at the time. Twelve weeks. All kinds of time. Goodbyes were far away.

But I'm learning that a twelve week goodbye is all kinds of hard. Every day, I walk into that office and take visual stock of my space...I sit and have conversations with my work buds...I make plans for future shows...and then it hits me. I won't be there when those shows air. And in eight weeks, I won't be having conversations with those work buds, unless they call or FaceTime me.

Pretty sure that for the next eight weeks, I should just take my makeup to work every day, because I think I am bound to cry on all days that end in Y.

It's a grieving process, this leaving. It's saying goodbye to something I have known, loved, and held dear for four years. And I don't apologize for grieving. I don't apologize for being sad to let go of a beautiful gift I've loved so greatly.

I've got a checklist of tasks to complete before I leave, and one of them was to make copies of the blog posts I wrote for Mid-Morning over the last four years. I didn't want to forget the words I'd written, so I spent some time copying them over into a document to preserve. I glanced at my posts as I copied them, and more than once, I noticed I'd written about waiting. About what God had been doing in me in seasons of waiting.

He laid the groundwork in those times. Five years before I got the job at WBCL, one of my co-workers walked in my office at IWU and handed me a slip of paper with words on it. He told me it was the login and password for a blog he'd created. For me. Blog, he told me. Your words need to be read. I had no idea that day...that I'd need to know this skill for a job five years down the road. Same with my book. I wrote the words of the Advent devotion for me...for a season of studying I did on my own. Awkwardly, I shared it with friends. Publish it, they said. Your words need to be read. So, scared out of my mind, I did just that. And I had no idea it would be the thing that opened the door for that job.

Groundwork. He was laying it the whole time, and I never saw it. But as I glanced over my blog posts, I recognized the groundwork theme in the waiting posts. And I know...even in this time of tears and grieving a hard goodbye, He's laying more groundwork, for a future I can't see.

And that gives me goosebumps. When the tears start to fall at work, and I feel overwhelmed by the goodbye of it all, I push myself to think about the future. The future that while yet unknown, is so exciting. A future full of possibilities and joy. A future to find out the next part of why God has called me to be here, now, for such a time as this. How can that be anything OTHER than exciting?

So that's this week in my heart...a little grieving, a little {invisible} groundwork, and a lot of goosebumps for a future He's writing.

{Photo taken during my first week of work, when Lynne and I had a photo shoot and found the groundwork of a beautiful friendship being laid.}

6 comments:

Tamar SB said...

Savor the moments and enjoy the memories! It clearly was an amazing place to work!

Bekah said...

It certainly is that. And I'm hoping Shafferland will be an equally amazing place to work! :)

Anonymous said...

Shafferland is, and will be, an amazing place to work! love you girl. Today in my yoga class we talked about the verse in Psalms that says "delight in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart."

well recently Abbi did not get a job she really wanted. She handled it beautifully but is seeing that sometimes what we THINK we desire might not be it. HE knows best what we will desire most, even if we don't know exactly what that is YET. So we keep trusting Him with what is next, when we cannot see it yet. SO HARD but SO GOOD.

anyways, you have created beautiful things at WBCL and will keep those forever. To not know yet what the desire of heart will actually BE yet, is pretty cool and goose bump worthy.

Many hugs this weekend and enjoy the weather! might be perfect for an ivanhoes trip!

XOXO

Anonymous said...

and please, if you go to Ivanhoes take a photo and text it to me. :)

Bekah said...

Polly - thank you for the reminder of that verse! Needed that! And thanks for the reminder of the YET. Just because I can't see it now, doesn't mean I won't ever. And Ivanhoe's is on the docket for today. I'll send a picture. {If I'm not in a sugar coma.}

Natasha said...

It is so amazing to see God's plan, once it's unfolded, and how all sorts of groundwork was being laid.

I am praying that this season of grieving is done well (I think you are doing it well, for what it's worth), and that soon the groundwork for your future becomes clearer.