Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Taking the Challenge

I'm sharing this today not to point to what I did, but to encourage you to try something new, even if it feels scary!

Remember a couple of weeks ago when I introduced you to my friend, Faith, who had taken time to bring me a gift on Valentine's Day several years ago? She was in a relationship then, and I was not, but she still took time out of her own busy life to make sure I had a gift on Valentine's Day.

Sharing that with you made it stir in my heart.

And then my mom sent that challenge list that I shared on the Saturday Six...about reaching out to others on Valentine's Day.

So Friday night, when Ryan and I were grocery shopping, I noticed all the rose bouquets near the checkout lanes, and I thought about Ryan's day of work on Saturday. I'd planned to stay home and write, but I knew right then that God had other plans for me. I put a dozen roses in our cart and told Ryan I was going to make some deliveries Saturday morning.
I got up and ready and then blew out to the car {MAN was it blustery} to head out for the day. I hadn't really checked ahead with most people, but I thought I'd give it a shot. I drove to the homes of some of my single friends. Some have never been married. Others are divorced or widowed. But all of them are loved, and I thought they deserved to know so on this day.

I got the biggest blessing out of knocking on their doors and watching their eyes light up when they saw the roses. I told them all I loved them and was thankful for them and just wanted them to know they were loved on this day.


One of my friends wanted a picture with me...a few wanted to know if I could stay and talk for a while...and the smiles from all of them were so worth the trip, which turned a bit harrowing for a while. Yeah. THIS wasn't in the forecast!

Despite the slick roads and whiteouts I ended up pushing through, it was SO worth it. {Also worth it - chasing my hat down a driveway after it blew off my head!}

Next year, hopefully Ryan and I can have the day off together to do something similar. Seriously the biggest blessing of my day, and I'm so glad I obeyed the urging in my heart.

6 comments:

mj in indiana said...

That's why I like you ... you have a heart of GOLD!
Bless You Bekah!!!
MJ

Unknown said...

That is awesome!!! Blessings to you!!

Anonymous said...

Heartwarming, selfless, inspiring. To God be the glory! Thanks, Bekah, for reminding us of the joy and blessing in being obedient.
Linda

Bekah said...

MJ - Well, sometimes it's more like aluminum foil, but you have made me smile. Love you!!!

Tia - Thanks!! I am excited to actually PLAN it next year!!

Linda - Thankful that God put it on my heart and let me experience some extra joy!

Anonymous said...

Missionary of JOY = you. XOXO

Natasha said...

I LOVE this! I am so going to do this next year. In fact, I'm Pinning it now so I'll remember :)