This year, Ryan had to work on Valentine's Day, so I offered to do the planning for our day. I'm really not a big fan of going out on Valentine's Day, because the crowds are CRAZY. I find it hard to enjoy myself when it's crowded and chaotic.
So....this year, I planned a fondue date! I thought it would be a lot of fun for us. Ryan and I grocery shopped together Friday night and I told him I was going to be buying some weird things and not to ask questions. LOL!!
I got everything all prepped while Ryan was at work, and then when we were ready to eat, I sent him far away from the main part of the house so I could finish up the work and surprise him.
Candles in a heart shape around glasses of sparkling grape juice...one of our favorite things.
I made two kinds of fondue...a cheese version and a broth version. For the cheese fondue I cubed some French bread, and I also had some cocktail shrimp. For the broth fondue I had tiny potatoes, mushrooms, and beef tips. Dinner is pretty quick to fix when you don't have to actually fix any of it ahead of time!!
And for dessert, coffee of course, and I also used my DeBrand gift card to get us some truffles.
We don't actually own fondue pots, so I borrowed a chocolate melting pot from my mom and a fondue set from my friend Amy at work. Between the two, we were set!
When I went to get Ryan from our room, he was SO EXCITED to find out we were doing fondue. He loved it! YAY!!!
He got busy right away, putting in the potatoes, since they take forever to cook.
I am not gonna lie - it was a fun dinner to eat. So much to sample!
And don't forget dessert!
After dinner, we exchanged cards and gifts. Ryan got a phone upgrade a while back, and his arm band he uses to hold his phone during workouts wont' work anymore, so I got him a new one.
And he got some serious points for my gift. He designed a new case for my phone - with our picture on it!
A great night - and a great night to be INSIDE, since it was so nasty out. Happy Vallentine's Day from Shafferland!
8 comments:
WOW!! What a perfect Valentine Date! And, thanks for the Fondue reminder! We have a pot and almost never use it! You give the BEST ideas!
Very fun! LOVE this date!! We love sparkling grape juice too ;)
Looks like a super relaxing and wonderful V-day date! We also like to stay home on V-day because of the crowds (hate crowds in general actually and my husband can have a full-on panic attack if made to be in a crowd). Because of that, we celebrated V-day in January at Baker's Street! But for the actual day, my hubby bought me a whole DeBrand's cheesecake. Whoa is it good! I shared some with my family that night but the rest has been left to me and I'm down to the last piece. It's definitely not helping my pants to fit any better but the workouts will resume tomorrow! :)
Such a sweet and perfect date!
aww what a perfect date!!!
We made take n bake pizza (yummm) from earth fare and watched Hitch (the movie) with abbi when she returned from her date with a friend to debrands.
oh and hubby got me flowers!and my Valentines gift to him is making him bacon once in a while. the man loves it. :)
XOXO
Shari - You should use it!!! It is such fun! And of course - Pinterest teems with recipes.
Eliza - White or red your favorite??
Tia - Oh we are so kindred spirits! I love that you make your own alternative date for the eating out portion!! :) And ummmmm I do not believe I knew DeBrand had cheesecake!
Tamar - it felt perfect to us!
Polly - HITCH!! I haven't seen that for years! :) Sounds like DeBrand won the prize for providing desserts that night, huh??? And good for you for treating the hubby to bacon!
I love the fondue at home date. Yum!!! What a great surprise.
And our Valentine's tradition is McDonald's although we didn't partake in that this year being as we were gone :)
I love the fondue at home date. Yum!!! What a great surprise.
And our Valentine's tradition is McDonald's although we didn't partake in that this year being as we were gone :)
Post a Comment